This no butter banana bread uses sunflower oil to make a lighter loaf. Utterly delicious and eternally popular with my children. Suitable for vegans.
I have a trusty banana bread recipe that I always make when the bananas in the fruit bowl start to turn (which seems to happen a lot in our house, rather conveniently for my late night baking habit).
Tonight however my plans were thwarted by the fact that we had no butter and no self raising flour. Never one to be put off by a baking challenge (as long as it doesn't involve icing, which is my nemesis!) I adapted it to the recipe below.
Is this no butter banana bread suitable for vegans?
When I first made this no butter banana loaf I wasn't vegan. The recipe contained eggs and dairy yoghurt. I've now updated the recipe to make it vegan and to include better photographs.
Now this is a banana bread recipe is 100% suitable for vegans. I hope you enjoy it!
More banana bread recipes
Since starting Sneaky Veg in 2013 I've made rather a lot of different banana bread recipes. Here they all are:
- sweet potato banana bread with chocolate chips
- Christmas spiced banana bread
- vegan banana bread
- banana and strawberry bread (not yet vegan)
- banana blueberry muffins
- spiced vegan banana bread (on my other blog, Cook Veggielicious)
Is this banana loaf easy to make?
Yes - it is very easy to make. Apart from a small bowl to mash the bananas in and another to mix your flax eggs you can make the whole recipe in one mixing bowl.
Even kids can help to make this banana bread. See more recipes that kids can cook.
Pin no butter banana bread for later
How to make no butter banana bread
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
No butter banana bread
- 225 g caster sugar
- 120 ml oil I used sunflower but any cooking oil should work ok
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds* mixed with 4 tbsp water)
- 120 ml plain vegan yoghurt
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 g self raising flour**
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
To top (optional)
- 1 banana halved lengthways, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C(fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- First make your flax eggs by mixing 2 tbsp ground flax seeds with 4 tbsp cold water and set aside to thicken. Mash your three ripe bananas in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together 225g caster sugar and 120ml sunflower oil until smooth. Add 2 flax eggs, 3 mashed bananas, 120ml vegan yoghurt and 1.5 tsp vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.
- Use a metal spoon to gently fold in 225g self raising flour, 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1.5tsp cinnamon until just mixed.
- If using press the two halves of banana into the top of the banana bread before baking.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. Test with a skewer inserted into the middle - it should come out clean. If the banana bread is getting too brown on top, cover with foil for the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
- Leave to rest in the tin for a few minutes and then carefully remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.