A wonderfully easy soda bread recipe made using root vegetables. This celeriac and parsnip bread has a delicious flavour that's perfect for tempting reluctant vegetable eaters to give veg a try. It's very adaptable and can be made with just parsnips or other root vegetables. No yeast is needed for this easy vegetable bread recipe.
Despite this tasting quite strongly of root vegetable (I thought) both of the kids loved this vegetable bread. Maybe some of my hard work is paying off and they're getting used to different tastes, or maybe bread is always going to be a winner.
We're still persisting with limiting snacks and I served this with soup, which they're not very keen on, so I think that helped the bread get eaten up.
It's also really easy and doesn't need any kneading or rising time so doesn't need too much forward planning and is a good way of using up odd bits of root veg that are hanging around in the fridge.
What to serve with this parsnip and celeriac vegetable bread
My favourite way to enjoy this vegetable soda bread is with soup. It goes well with most vegetable soups. You might like to try it with:
It's also really delicious served with butter (I use a vegan butter alternative) and a salad or some beans.
Other celeriac recipes
- Honey roasted celeriac salad
- Apple, cherry and celeriac flapjacks
- Lentil shepherd's pie with herby celeriac mash (on my vegan food blog Cook Veggielicious)
- Butterbean and celeriac mash (on my vegan food blog Cook Veggielicious)
- Warm celeriac salad with blueberries and chestnuts (on my vegan food blog Cook Veggielicious)
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup (on my vegan food blog Cook Veggielicious)
Other parsnip recipes
- Leek, pear and parsnip cakes
- Parsnip, chestnut and sage nut roast
- Honey roasted parsnip and turnip wedges
- Parsnip, chickpea and cauliflower vegan korma (on my vegan food blog Cook Veggielicious)
If you like this you might like these healthy picnic ideas.
Pin root vegetable bread for later
How to make celeriac and parsnip bread
If you've made this recipe and loved it please leave a comment and star rating - thanks so much.
Celeriac and parsnip bread
- 225 g self raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch fine sea salt optional
- 275 g plain yoghurt dairy free if vegan
- 50 g grated hard cheese or 2 tbsp nutritional yeast**
- 100 g parsnip, peeled and grated*
- 50 g celeraic, peeled and grated*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add 225g plain flour, ½ bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt (if using) and mix well.
- Stir through 275g plain yoghurt.
- Add 150g grated vegetables and 50g grated cheese or 2 tbsp nutritional yeast.
- Scrape out of the bowl onto your prepared baking tray. Bake it in the oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and crusty.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack. Best served warm but still tastes pretty good cold.