This delicious parsnip and apple soup is the perfect combination of sweet parsnips and tart cooking apples. The creaminess comes from the blended parsnips. There is no actual cream involved and this delicious seasonal soup is suitable for vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
I really love parsnips. However, my kids are less keen.
I just don't get it. I'm sure that I loved parsnips as a child but my three won't even try them.
This parsnip soup was designed with them in mind. The sweetness of the parsnips mixed with slightly tart cooking apples makes a delicious, seasonal soup that even picky eaters are tempted to try.
How difficult is parsnip and apple soup to make?
This soup is really easy to make.
It's made in one pan and is as simple as boiling all the ingredients together before blending.
What should you serve with this soup?
This soup is delicious on its own. However, it also goes perfectly with:
- crusty bread
- toasted pumpkin seeds or nuts
- a drizzle of oat cream
- freshly chopped herbs
- crackers or oat cakes.
What ingredients do you need to make this soup?
This soup is made from just a few simple ingredients. All you need is:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cooking apples
- 500g parsnips
- 750ml vegetable stock
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, optional
- Chopped parsley, optional
Can you make this soup with leftover parsnips?
Absolutely. In fact this soup is a brilliant way to use up leftover roast parsnips.
Anyone else always roast too many parsnips at Christmas?
If you're going to use your leftover parsnips to make this soup add them after the apple has softened. Blend into the soup then reheat.
Do you need any special equipment to make this soup?
Other than a saucepan, chopping board and sharp knife all you need to make this soup is a blender.
Pin vegan apple and parsnip soup for later
More of my soup recipes
Some of these soup recipes are on my other blog, Cook Veggielicious.
How to make parsnip and apple soup
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Parsnip and apple soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 cooking apples peeled and chopped
- 500 g parsnips peeled and chopped
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper optional
- Chopped parsley optional
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add a chopped leek and sauté over a medium heat until soft. Add 2 cloves crushed garlic and a pinch of nutmeg, stir and cook for one minute.
- Add 2 chopped cooking apples, 500g chopped parsnips and 750ml vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the parsnips and apple are soft.
- Allow to cool slightly then blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add freshly chopped parsley if liked.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.