A deliciously creamy potato and courgette soup that makes a delicious summer lunch or starter. Easy to make and suitable for vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
Whether you're growing your own courgettes (also known as zucchini) or simply buying them from your local greengrocer or supermarket this potato and courgette soup is a great use for them.
And if you are lucky enough to have a glut of courgettes in your garden then this soup recipe is a great way to make a dent in them.
It's great for freezing for a later date too.
We eat a lot of courgettes in the summer
Some years I grow my own, others I have to rely on what arrives in my vegetable box. Either way courgettes are one of my favourite summer veggies and I love cooking courgette curry and a vegan version (using gram flour instead of egg) of my courgette and potato fritters.
Cooking tip: if you're baking with courgette it's important to squeeze out as much water as you can before adding the courgette to your cake mixture. It's got so much liquid in it that neglecting to do this will affect your bake.
Courgette is delicious in soup
This courgette and potato soup is so good. It's an easy summer soup recipe to make and the potato helps to not only make it filing but also make it lovely and creamy.
I particularly like to serve this with homemade croutons - this also makes the kids more likely to try it!
Soup has to be served with some kind of bread for the kids to be tempted to try it - especially if it's green.
More summer soup recipes
If you like this you might like:
- Spinach and split pea soup
- Tomato and basil soup
- Vegetable, spinach and borlotti bean soup
- Squash and sweetcorn chowder
How to make courgette soup
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
It really couldn't be easier to make this summer soup recipe.
- First you need to fry an onion with some celery and garlic. The celery helps to add an extra depth of flavour but can be omitted if you don't have any to hand.
- Next add the courgette and cook gently until soft. You'll need to stir fairly often to stop it from sticking to the pan.
- Add the chopped potatoes and hot vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Once it's boiling reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- While this is happening you can make the croutons.
- Once your potatoes are cooked carefully blend your soup. I prefer to use a handheld blender* for this job as you need to leave it to cool down before using a jug blender*.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
If you've made this recipe please a leave a star rating and comment below. Thank you
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Potato and courgette soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 3 medium courgettes diced
- 4 small potatoes diced (weight around 450g)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the croutons
- 2-3 slices bread I like ciabatta-style bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves of chopped or crushed garlic and 1 stalk of chopped celery. Stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and sweat for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add 3 diced courgettes, stir and cover again. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Stir often to avoid sticking.
- Add 4 diced potatoes and a litre of hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Blend with a hand held blender. If using a jug blender allow to cool first.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with croutons or sliced bread.
To make the croutons
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Cut the bread into chunks that are around 2-3cm square. Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and mix well.
- Spread onto a non-stick baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes then turn. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes but keep an eye on the croutons to make sure they don't burn.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
- This recipe is suitable for freezing apart from the croutons.
Pin potato and courgette soup for later
If you like this you might also like this courgette dip.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I'll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.