A deliciously creamy potato and courgette soup that makes a delicious summer lunch or starter. Easy to make and suitable for vegans.
Whether you’re growing your own courgettes (also known as zucchini) or simply buying them from your local greengrocer or supermarket, right now is the time of the courgette. My social media feeds are full of courgette recipes, people are talking about a glut of courgettes and the farmers market had lovely colourful varieties on offer this week.
While we didn’t find the time to grow our own courgettes this year I’ve been buying them a lot and have been making courgette curry and a vegan version (using gram flour instead of egg) of my courgette and potato fritters almost weekly. We’ve also been eating lots of courgette bakes including this courgette and lemon cake.
If you’re baking with courgette it’s important to squeeze out as much water as you can before adding the courgette to your cake mixture. It’s got so much liquid in it that neglecting to do this will affect your bake.
As much as I love the recipes above, particularly the courgette curry, this potato and courgette soup is my new favourite.
It’s such an easy summer soup recipe and the potato helps to not only make it filing but also make it lovely and creamy.
I particularly like to serve this with homemade croutons – this also makes the kids more likely to try it! Soup has to be served with some kind of bread for the kids to be tempted to try it – especially if it’s green!
How to make courgette soup
It really couldn’t be easier to make this summer soup recipe.
- First you need to fry an onion with some celery and garlic. The celery helps to add an extra depth of flavour but can be omitted if you don’t have any to hand.
- Next add the courgette and cook gently until soft. You’ll need to stir fairly often to stop it from sticking to the pan.
- Add the chopped potatoes and hot vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiling reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- While this is happening you can make the croutons.
- Once your potatoes are cooked carefully blend your soup. I prefer to use a handheld blender* for this job as you need to leave it to cool down before using a jug blender*.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Keep scrolling down for the full recipe.
Pin potato and courgette soup for later
Potato and courgette soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 3 courgettes diced
- 4 small potatoes diced (weight around 450g)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the croutons
- 2-3 slices of ciabatta style bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch sea salt
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
Add 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves of chopped or crushed garlic and 1 stalk of chopped celery. Stir. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and sweat for 10 minutes until soft.
Add 3 diced courgettes, stir and cover again. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Stir often to avoid sticking.
Add 4 diced potatoes and a litre of hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft.
Blend with a hand held blender. If using a jug blender allow to cool first.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with croutons or sliced bread.
To make the croutons
Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
Cut the bread into chunks that are around 2-3cm square. Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and mix well.
Spread onto a non-stick baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes then turn. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes but keep an eye on the croutons to make sure they don't burn.
If you like this you might like my vegan miso udon noodle soup.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.