Shakshuka is a spicy middle-eastern dish consisting of tomatoes and peppers cooked with eggs. This delicious easy shakshuka recipe is quick to prepare and makes a perfect vegetarian family brunch dish.
I adore shakshuka.
It's a real family favourite and we love to make it for lazy weekend brunches.
What is shakshuka?
Shakshuka is a spicy dish made from tomatoes, onions and peppers with eggs cooked in the centre.
It's eaten widely across the middle east and is absolutely delicious.
It is a brilliant brunch recipe. However, it's just as good for lunch or dinner.
What ingredients do you need to make shakshuka?
For full ingredients list, quantities and instructions see the recipe card at the end of this post.
You will need the following ingredients to make shakshuka:
- Olive oil
- Red or yellow peppers
- Dried oregano
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper, optional
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- Tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to taste
Do you need any special equipment to make shakshuka?
You will need the following equipment to make this recipe:
- sharp knife
- chopping board
- large frying pan with a lid
Is this suitable for freezing?
Make the recipe without the eggs - up until stage 4 in the recipe below if you want to freeze it.
Allow to cool completely then transfer to a freezer box or bag. Label with the date and name of the recipe before freezing.
When ready to cook allow to defrost completely then bring to the boil before adding the eggs and proceeding with the recipe.
Can you make vegan shakshuka?
It's really straightforward to make this shakshuka dish suitable for vegans.
The sauce is absolutely delicious on its own. There's no dairy in the dish so just leave the eggs out and skip the last stage for a delicious vegan dish.
Alternatively, if you're keen to add some protein, you could try this recipe for vegan shakshuka.
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
Pin this easy shakshuka recipe for later
How to make this easy shakshuka recipe
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Easy shakshuka recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 large red or yellow peppers diced or thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 eggs
- Pitta breads to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add the onion and sauté over a low-medium heat until soft. Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper (if using). Cook for a further minute.
- Next add the peppers, turn the heat to low and cover. Cook for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato purée to the pan. Stir well and continue cooking for around 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened a little. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- I used to blend some of the sauce at this stage for the kids - you can do this and then follow the instructions as below for the baked eggs.
- Make a little dip in the sauce for each egg. Break the egg carefully and pour each one into its own dip. Cover and cook gently for around 10 minutes until the white of the egg is set but the yolks are still runny. If you prefer you can also bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes at this stage.
- Serve with pitta bread and salad.
- My kids like to have it the pitta bread cut into strips so they can dip it into the sauce and yolks.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to serve more.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide.