This apple and sweet potato crumble was a huge hit with my kids. A wonderful hidden vegetable recipe the two flavours complement each other wonderfully.
Feeding children doesn't always turn out the way you expect. For example, I never imagined I'd have a child who'd refuse to eat a strawberry, apple or banana!
Despite hating fruit ever since he was old enough to voice an opinion, Mr R has always loved crumble. Apart from smoothies and cakes it's long been the only way in which he'll eat fruit. When he was very little I didn't tell him that there was fruit in it.
These days he accepts that there is fruit in crumble and eats it quite happily. Which gives me much hope for the future that he might start to enjoy raw fruit as well.
Adding sweet potato to crumble is a great way to get an extra portion of veg in
One week, when the kids' vegetable intake was particularly low (there's only so many times I can serve up pasta, sausages, meatballs etc in a sneaky veg sauce after all!), I decided to try putting some sweet potato into a crumble.
I hoped that it would be just sweet enough to convince my picky eaters that it was tasty enough to eat. The first time I made it Mr R ate it happily but little Miss R objected to the orange chunks and refused to even try it. So I made it again and mashed the potato before mixing it with the apple.
This time she ate it happily, leaving me feeling glad that she's eaten some veg, but still with a long way to go before she'll choose to eat a sweet potato.
The crumble topping in this recipe contains sugar. If you prefer you can make it with a sugar-free topping such as this one.
Love crumble? Try one of my other crumble recipes
- Strawberry and rhubarb crumble
- Gluten free apricot crumble
- Gooseberry crumble bars
- Healthy apple crumble
- Vegan gooseberry crumble
- Simple apple and cinnamon crumble
How to make apple and sweet potato crumble
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Apple and sweet potato crumble
- 2 large bramley apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped. then boiled until soft and mashed
- 110 g plain flour
- 75 g butter chopped into small pieces
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 75 g oatmeal porridge oats or chopped nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C(fan)/220°C/gas mark 7.
- Mix together the chopped apples and mashed sweet potato in a medium sized oven proof dish.
- To make the crumble topping rub together the flour and butter with your fingertips, or in a food processor, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and oats or nuts. Spread evenly over the apple and sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve with custard or ice cream.