Easy Mexican rice flavoured with chipotle. A delicious side dish that goes well with any Mexican meal. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
I don't feed my kids rice as much as I could/should because of the mess. Hundreds of little grains, all over the floor. And with Baby S about to start eating too it's only going to get worse.
But R has decided that he doesn't like pasta any more. Seeing as both kids currently like rice it's time to get used to the cleaning up and experiment a bit with ways of making rice more of a rounded meal.
And yes, this is a bold meal to offer to a pair of picky eaters! I'm working really hard to offer them a varied selection of meals and I'm happy when they at least try something.
They didn't love this as much as they would have done if I'd served up pizza but they did both try it - which makes it a success in my book! And us grown ups loved it.
What to serve with Mexican rice?
I served this to the kids with a fried egg on top, which is something they both love. Including at least one food that they definitely like as part of their meal can prevent them running away from the table in tears (yes this has happened!).
Other delicious recipes that you could serve with this Mexican rice include:
What is chipotle?
Chipotle is a simply a jalapeño chilli that has been smoked. Chipotle is common in Mexican cookery. I absolutely love the flavour. I find that it adds the most gorgeous taste to everything I've made with it without being overly spicy.
Chipotle also works well in guacamole, in veggie chilli, with beans, with any taco filling or mixed with a tomato sauce for potatoes.
More vegetarian rice recipes
Pin Mexican rice for later
How to make Mexican rice
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Mexican-style chipotle rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle paste* or adjust to taste
- 1 red pepper diced
- 100 g sweetcorn fresh, tinned or frozen
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tinned black beans drained and rinsed
- 200 ml boiling water or stock
- 160 g basmati rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- small handful coriander leaves picked or chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add 1 choppd onion, stir well, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally for ten minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add 1 cloves garlic and 1 tsp chipotle paste, stir well and cook for a further minute. Add a chopped red pepper and cook for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pepper is cooked.
- Add 100g sweetcorn then pour in a tin of chopped tomatoes, the drained tin of beans, 160g rice and 200ml boiling water or stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook on a low heat for 25-30 minutes until the rice is cooked through and most of the liquid has gone. Add a little more water if needed but be careful not to add too much.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with fresh coriander and lime wedges.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.