This easy Mexican rice is a brilliant one pan meal or side that the whole family can enjoy. Packed with flavour and full of beans and veggies this delicious side dish goes well with any Mexican meal. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Mexican rice is such a great family meal. Here's why we love it:
- made in one pan
- full of energy - carbs (rice) and protein (black beans)
- packed with veggies - corn, peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes (technically a fruit of course)
- so flavoursome
- easy to adapt - leave out the chipotle and salt for young babies
Suitable for babies/toddlers?
This is a great vegan meal or side dish that the whole family can enjoy.
If serving to babies or toddlers simply leave out the chilli (chipotle) and the salt.
What to serve with Mexican rice?
Although this Mexican rice can be served on its own, I think it's at its most delicious when served as part of a spread of other dishes.
Other recipes that you could serve with this Mexican rice include:
- refried beans
- pulled jackfruit
- paprika roasted corn on the cob
- sweetcorn fritters
- bean chilli
- spicy sweet potato wedges
What is chipotle?
Chipotle is a simply a jalapeño chilli that has been smoked. It's common in Mexican cookery.
I absolutely love the flavour. It adds the most gorgeous taste to everything I've made with it without being overly spicy.
Chipotle also works well in guacamole, in veggie chilli, with beans, with any taco filling or mixed with a tomato sauce for potatoes.
To make Mexican rice you'll need the following ingredients (full recipe and quantities are in the recipe card below):
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chipotle paste or dried chipotle
- 1 red pepper (capsicum)
- 100 g sweetcorn
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tinned black beans
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 160 g basmati rice
- salt and pepper
If you have leftovers they can be stored in the fridge or freezer for use another time.
Many people worry about reheating rice in case of food poisoning. It is possible to safely store and reheat rice as long as it is cooled and placed in the fridge (or freezer) as quickly as possible.
To aid cooling you may wish to spread it out on a cold tray or dish.
As soon as it's cold transfer to an airtight container. Label and date.
Store in the fridge for up to three days. When ready to eat reheat until piping hot.
Freeze for up to one month. When ready to eat defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight and then reheat until piping hot.
More vegetarian rice recipes
- Oven-baked rhubarb and strawberry risotto
- Pea and mint risotto for babies
- Summer vegetable pilau
- Easy veggie fried rice
- Mushroom chilli with jacket potatoes
- Green rice
How to make Mexican rice
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Mexican-style chipotle rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste or dried chipotle or adjust to taste
- 1 red pepper diced
- 100 g sweetcorn fresh, tinned or frozen
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 240 g tinned black beans (1 standard tin) drained and rinsed
- 200 ml hot vegetable stock or boiling water
- 160 g basmati rice rinsed*
- salt and pepper to taste
- small handful coriander leaves picked or chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Add 1 chopped onion, stir well, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for ten minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add 1 cloves garlic and 1 teaspoon chipotle paste, stir well and cook for a further minute.
- Add a chopped red pepper and cook for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pepper is cooked.
- Add 100g sweetcorn then pour in a tin of chopped tomatoes, the drained tin of beans, 160g rice and 200ml boiling water or hot vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 25-30 minutes until the rice is cooked through and most of the liquid has gone.
- Add a little more water if needed but be careful not to add too much.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with fresh coriander and lime wedges.
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear for best results
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin Mexican rice for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.