This simple recipe for zoats - or healthy overnight oats with zucchini (courgette), lemon and blueberries - makes a delicious and healthy summer breakfast.
Overnight oats are the perfect summer breakfast
I love overnight oats, or bircher muesli, for breakfast in summer. All you need to do is soak the ingredients in milk overnight and you have a ready made breakfast waiting for you in the morning.
Over winter we've been eating porridge most days (when I say we, I mean the grown ups and Little S - my two big kids won't touch it unfortunately) but now the days are getting warmer we've switched back to overnight oats.
I'm always looking for recipes that up our vegetable intake - seeing as we're meant to eat 10 a day.
So I decided to play around with a courgette overnight oats recipe and the result is this - courgette (or zucchini), lemon and blueberry overnight oats, aka zoats.
It's absolutely delicious so please give it a try!
What is courgette?
Courgette is a summer squash. In many parts of the world it is known as zucchini. Here in the UK we call it a courgette.
If left to grow a courgette becomes a marrow - a much bigger version.
Make these zoats your own
Once you have your overnight oats base you can add whatever toppings you like, such as extra fruit, nuts and seeds.
I like a spoonful of nut butter or you can make it sweeter with some honey or maple syrup. This recipe is suitable for vegetarians and if you use a plant-based milk it's vegan as well. I used oat milk but it's also delicious with almond milk.
We usually enjoy our overnight oats cold straight from the fridge but if you prefer you can warm it up a little.
More overnight oats recipes
- Carrot cake bircher muesli
- Deliciously Ella's chocolate overnight oats
- Hazelnut and chocolate overnight oats
Pin zoats - overnight oats with courgette and blueberry for later
How to make zoats
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Healthy overnight oats with courgette (zucchini), lemon and blueberry
- 150 g oats
- 1 grated courgette (zucchini) peeled if preferred
- zest and juice of a lemon
- 100 g blueberries
- 40 g chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds optional
- 400 ml milk I used oat milk
- Mix 150g oats, 1 grated courgette, the zest and juice of a lemon, 100g blueberries, 40g chopped almonds and 1 tbsp flaxseeds together in a bowl.
- Pour over 400ml milk and stir.
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Serve with more fresh fruit and nuts or seeds if liked. A spoonful of nut butter stirred through is also delicious.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.