Creamy overnight oats with all the flavours of carrot cake. Almost as good as eating cake for breakfast and a great deal healthier - plus you get a portion of veg in at the start of the day. These carrot cake overnight oats are suitable for vegans.
Overnight oats are a real breakfast game changer - or at least they have been for us.
But what are overnight oats?
Sometimes called bircher muesli, overnight oats are simply oats that have been soaked in milk overnight, then served for breakfast.
Since we first tried them they've changed our breakfasts for the better.
There are many different ways to serve overnight oats - with berries for example, or grated apple. And you can add various toppings of your choice to suit your taste.
It's really easy to make vegan overnight oats too - simply use your favourite dairy free milk.
Why carrot cake overnight oats?
I decided to give my overnight oats the Sneaky Veg treatment by adding a healthy portion of carrot.
If you think carrot for breakfast is weird then think again - it's perfect here.
This recipe for carrot cake bircher muesli combines:
- the warming taste of cinnamon
- creamy oats
- juicy sultanas
- a healthy portion of vegetables.
It's a delicious and satisfying breakfast and one that I know we'll be making time and time again.
Keeping breakfasts interesting
Healthy, interesting breakfasts for my children are something that I really struggle with.
We are short of time on weekday mornings before school. There isn't much time for creativity and even making a bowl of porridge can seem like a challenge.
Overnight oats are a great way to serve up a tasty and healthy breakfast that you can prep the night before.
Overnight oats are a great alternative to porridge
There's no cooking involved in making overnight oats.
Simply soak the oats in milk overnight, grate in an apple in the morning and it's ready to eat.
The hardest part is remembering to get it ready before bed. As long as you do that then it only takes a few minutes and you have a delicious breakfast.
It's perfect for the warmer spring and summer mornings but I like it in winter too. And of course you can be as creative as you like with the toppings.
Topping ideas for overnight oats
Here are some of my favourite toppings for overnight oats:
- chopped almonds
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- maple syrup
- sliced banana
- a dollop of nut butter
- poppy seeds.
How to make carrot cake overnight oats:
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Carrot cake overnight oats
- 225 g porridge oats
- 50 g sultanas or raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 carrot grated
- 500 ml milk I used oat milk
- 1 apple grated
- Maple syrup optional
- Strawberries, blueberries or other fresh fruit optional
- Chopped nuts or seeds optional
- Place 225g oats, 50g sultanas, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and a grated carrot in a bowl. Stir. Pour over 500 ml milk, cover, and put in the fridge. Leave overnight.
- In the morning you'll have a lovely creamy bowl of bircher muesli for your breakfast. Grate in an apple, add a little maple syrup, sprinkle over some nuts or seeds and serve with fresh fruit if you like. I like strawberries or blueberries best of all with this.
- Nutritional information does not include serving suggestions.
- The nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.