A delicious recipe for vegetarian savoury muffins with cheese and sweet potato that's perfect for toddler snacks, packed lunches and picnics. Recipe includes vegan adaptation.
My kids will eat any kind of cake, even one that's packed full of veggies - as long as it's sweet.
Savoury muffins, like this recipe for savoury cheesy sweet potato muffins, are more of a challenge.
Smoky flavours are delicious in savoury muffins
However, I have had some success with using smoky flavours in recipes before so I thought I'd try it here and bingo - success! You could easily leave out the smoked paprika if you prefer, or even used smoked cheese instead if you have some.
These are really, really good when they're fresh out of the oven, still warm with the cheese all melted. Mmmmm. Serve alongside some soup or they're the perfect addition to a lunch box or picnic.
How to make savoury muffins
It's worth pointing out that there are two types of muffins. First of all this time - an American-style muffin, baked in a paper case and resembling a cupcake or large fairy cake. Secondly there's another type called an English muffin, which is more of a bread and is often served toasted with eggs at breakfast. Here we're talking about the first type of muffin.
Now we've got that cleared up let's talk about savoury muffins. These sweet potato and cheese muffins are really easy to make. You follow the same basic method as you do when you're making a sweet method but leaving out the sugar. In this easy vegetarian savoury muffins recipe the basic ingredients are flour, butter, yoghurt and egg - with sweet potato, cheese and spices added for flavour and texture.
Savoury muffins are well worth making. They're wonderful with a picnic, they fit perfectly into a lunchbox and they're a great light lunch or snack for toddlers or older babies.
If you're feeding these to younger kids who've tried sweet muffins before it's probably worth pointing out in advance that these are savoury muffins to avoid any disappointment!
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like these sweet potato fritters.
Pin vegetarian savoury muffins with cheese and sweet potato for later
How to make vegetarian savoury muffins with cheese and sweet potato:
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Savoury cheese and sweet potato muffins
- 225 g plain flour I usually use wholemeal or spelt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 90 g unsalted butter or dairy free spread melted
- 175 g plain yoghurt use dairy free if vegan
- 1 egg beaten or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 90 g cooked sweet potato mashed or puréed
- 90 g grated cheddar cheese or vegan cheddar style cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and paprika (if using) together into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the melted butter, yoghurt and beaten egg together in a separate bowl.
- Stir the sweet potato and cheddar cheese into the flour, then add the yoghurt mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- Spoon equal amounts into the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the muffins spring back when you touch them.