These sweet potato fritters are a wonderful and healthy vegan snack and make a delicious lunch when served with salads and dips. Great for lunchboxes too.
Sweet potato fritters are a great quick and easy lunch
If you're looking for a quick and easy veggie lunch that packs in the veggies then look no further. These sweet potato fritters are just what you need.
A simple mix of grated sweet potato, gram flour, spices and water, these don't take long to put together. They can be eaten straight away with mayo or hummus as a snack or served as part of a mezze style lunch with salads, dips and veggies.
They're also great for dinner
We had these sweet potato fritters for dinner the other day with steamed carrots and broccoli, patatas bravas, salad and hummus.
Serving meals like this - I like to call it family style - with several dishes on the table that everyone can help themselves from - is really helping us with picky eating. It just takes away a lot of the stress of mealtimes - try it if you haven't already.
Are they vegan?
These sweet potato fritters are vegan but that doesn't mean you have to be vegan to enjoy them.
If you are vegan though you might be interested to know that these are a great source of protein, as they're made with chickpea flour, or gram flour.
What is gram flour?
Gram flour is a fine, yellowish flour that is made from dried chickpeas. It is sometimes known as besan. Chickpea flour is used widely in Indian cooking particuarly to make pakoras - or fritters.
It is also a brilliant binding agent and is therefore a very useful ingredient for vegans as it can be used in place of egg in recipes like this.
Chickpea flour is also used in France and Spain to make a thin pancake called farinata or socca. In Argentina a thicker pancake called faina is often served alongside pizza.
More gram flour recipes
- Spinach farinata crepe with masala potatoes
- Leek and herb fritters
- Potato and cauliflower pakoras
- Indian-spiced sweetcorn fritters
- Quick carrot fritters
- Vegan corn fritters (on my vegan food blog Cook Veggielicious)
If you love sweet potatoes you might also like my sweet potato katsu curry recipe.
Pin these sweet potato fritters for later
Here's how to make vegan sweet potato fritters
The key to making vegan fritters is to use gram flour, which helps to bind them together when mixed with water. It can be lumpy though so sift or whisk it first.
Sweet potato fritters
- 1 medium sweet potato (around 330g) grated
- 120 g gram (chickpea) flour sifted to remove lumps
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 160 ml water
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Mix all the ingredients, apart from the oil, together in a mixing bowl and season to taste.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a low heat and add a tablespoon of the mixture. Flatten down with a fork and repeat with one or two more tablespoons depending on the size of your pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn with a spatula and cook on the other side. Press down gently on the top of the fritters with the spatula to check that no liquid batter squirts out. If it does you need to keep cooking for a little longer.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately with dips and salads.
If you like this you might like these orange sweet potato cookies.