This fresh tomato sauce is packed full of the flavours of summer. My easy recipe is a great way to use up a glut of summer tomatoes. Can be frozen.
Everyone needs a good recipe for simple tomato sauce for pasta - this is mine. While I often make a quick tomato sauce using tinned tomatoes this tomato sauce recipe is made with fresh tomatoes.
The fresh tomatoes make all the difference to the flavour. I strongly recommend you try it if you haven't already!
This recipe is perfect for summer, particularly if you've grown your own tomatoes.
This summer we grew our own tomatoes
We grew two tomato plants in our garden this summer.
Things my children enjoyed about this:
- getting covered in mud
- watching the tomatoes grow and ripen
- picking the ripe tomatoes.
Eating them however was a different story. Neither of them has ever been willing to even smell a tomato, let alone eat one!
The kids loved this fresh tomato sauce
With this simple tomato sauce however they both enjoyed the fruits of our hard work in the garden without a single complaint.
Stirred through pasta, this sauce makes a perfect summer dinner.
Ideas for using your fresh tomato sauce:
- add extra water or stock and turn it into soup
- use it as a pizza topping
- add lots of roasted vegetables and enjoy it with pasta or cous cous
- stir through ravioli or tortellini (this is my kids' favourite)
- make pizza toast by spreading this on bread and grating cheese over the top before grilling.
Do you need to skin the tomatoes before making this sauce?
It's really up to you whether you skin the tomatoes before making your pasta sauce. Personally I think that life is too short for such things so I don't bother.
If you would like to skin your tomatoes however here is how Delia does it.
More vegetarian pasta sauce recipes
- Easy veggie pasta sauce
- Lentil and roasted cauliflower pasta sauce
- Sneaky veg sauce recipe
- Hidden veg pasta sauce
- Roasted carrot pasta sauce
- Sun-dried tomato pesto pasta
Pin fresh tomato sauce for later
How to make fresh tomato sauce:
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Simple tomato sauce for pasta
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes roughly chopped (this is roughly 12 medium tomatoes)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar optional
- Put all the ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid, give everything a good stir, and cook for a further 20 minutes, leaving the lid off, until the sauce has thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can enjoy this sauce as it is or blend for a smoother result if preferred.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you loved this recipe why not let me know by leaving a rating and comment below? Alternatively you can let me know on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox. Read more about Sneaky Veg
Julie's Family Kitchen
Oh delicious, a great way to use up a glut of tomatoes.
Indeed, bit late for most but we still have a few ripening in our garden so you never know!