With a deliciously crispy skin and a perfectly cooked centre, Hasselback potatoes are a fun way to serve up baked potatoes that kids are sure to love. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
What are Hasselback potatoes?
Hasselback potatoes are simply baked potatoes, or jacket potatoes, where thin slices have been cut into the potato prior to baking.
They can be served as they are or with butter, breadcrumbs, herbs or almonds sprinkled on top.
The Hasselback potato was invented in Sweden by a trainee chef, Leif Elisson, at the Hasselbacken restaurant in 1953, hence the name.
Read more about the origins of the Hasselback potato, or Potato à la Hasselbacken, on Wikipedia.
Easy to make
While Hasselback potatoes are easy to make you will need to take a little care not to slice all the way through the potato when making the thin slices.
To aid this try placing each potato between two wooden spoon handles or chopsticks to stop your knife reaching the chopping board.
Other methods include putting a thin skewer through the potato to stop the knife reaching the board or placing the whole potato inside a large spoon.
Hasselback potatoes are suitable for vegans (depending on what you serve them with) and vegetarians and are naturally gluten free.
Great for kids
Hasselback potatoes are a fun side dish that kids love. I often serve them very simply with butter (or dairy free spread) and a few herbs sprinkled on top.
They're great for playdates as most kids like potatoes and they're a bit more interesting than a standard baked potato.
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
To make Hasselback potatoes you will need:
- four baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
How to make easy Hasselback potatoes
1. Wash your potatoes and place on a chopping board between the handles of two wooden spoons.
2. Cut thin slices through the potato using the spoon handles to stop your knife slipping all the way through.
3. Place on an oiled baking tray and brush with olive oil.
4. Bake for 40 minutes to an hour until cooked through with a crispy skin. Serve with butter (or vegan alternative) and some fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
If you've made this recipe please a star rating and comment below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Easy Hasselback Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- handful flatleaf parsley finely chopped, to serve
- butter or vegan alternative to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Wash the potatoes. Place on a chopping board and very carefully slice thin slices (about 5mm thick or even thinner if you can) taking care not to go all the way through to the chopping board. Placing two wooden spoon handles or two chop sticks on either side of the potato will help here.
- Put the prepared potatoes on a non-stick or lightly greased baking tray. Brush liberally with olive oil (this will help your skins to go nice and crispy).
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes to an hour or until cooked through. Serve with butter and some finely chopped parsley.
Pin this easy Hasselback potatoes recipe for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.