This recipe for healthy oat beetroot bars made with poppy seeds is perfect for baby led weaning and as a toddler snack. They are free from refined sugar, full of goodness and really soft.
My beetroot bars are also a great snack for bigger kids, especially as an after-school snack for kids who don't do too well on refined sugar on an empty stomach.
See more snack recipes that include vegetables.
My kids love these healthy oat bars and I love that they have a portion of beetroot in them. There's nothing like getting a portion of veg in at snack time - or is that just me?
These oaty bars are a gorgeous colour - the beetroot turns them slightly pink and it adds a wonderful flavour to the bars.
Are these oaty bars easy to make?
I love how easy these vegan snack bars are to make.
You simply put all the ingredients in a food processor, whizz them up and bake.
If you don't have a food processor you can make these with a hand-held stick blender, but you may need to add a little water to help get the right consistency.
How much sugar is in these beetroot bars?
There's no need to add sugar to these beetroot bars. They're sweet enough with the grated apple and dried fruit.
Because these are low in added sugar these are brilliant as oat bars for toddlers or finger food for baby led weaning.
Can you substitute other vegetables?
The beetroot can be substituted for other vegetables.
Any root vegetable would work - and would add its own unique flavour. If you're playing it safe carrot or pumpkin would be a good one to try.
If you're avoiding nuts you could replace the almonds with sunflower seeds or extra oats. (I haven't tested this so let me know if you do make them how it turns out).
More healthy beetroot recipes for kids
- Chocolate beetroot cake
- Chocolate and beetroot macarons
- Coconut chocolate beetroot fairy cakes
- Beetroot and chocolate granola
- Rice pudding with beetroot and black cherry
Pin these healthy oat beetroot bars with poppy seeds for later
How to make healthy oat beetroot bars with poppy seeds:
Healthy oat bars with beetroot and poppy seeds
- 120 g oats
- 40 g almonds
- 100 g dried fruit (I used a mix of raisins and dried cranberries)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 apple grated
- 2 small cooked beetroots (around 130g) roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Grease and base line a square 20cm cake tin or similar sized dish.
- Put all the ingredients into your food processor or high powered blender and pulse until broken down and well combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until firm to the touch. Cut into bars or squares while still warm, then leave to cool completely in the tin.