Delicious no bake freezer bars made with rice puffs and dried cherries are a great healthy snack bar for kids. Easy to make and made with natural ingredients, including rice, maple syrup, almonds and dried fruit. Vegan and gluten free.
These healthy snack bars need to be stored in the freezer to keep them together, which in theory means they'll last for ages.
The reality here was rather different with the whole batch disappearing in just a few days.
In fact they should probably come with a warning along the lines of "Watch out! These bars are dangerously moreish."
What is puffed rice?
Air is added to grains of rice to make puffed rice. This makes the grains bigger and lighter. Rice Krispies are the best known type of puffed rice in the UK.
However, puffed rice is commonly used in other cuisines too, for example to make bhel puri in India.
It's also used to make rice krispie nests.
Where to buy puffed rice
Most big supermarkets sell puffed rice. Try looking in the free from aisle for the sugar free, natural variety.
Alternatively Asian supermarkets and health food stores will usually stock it.
Can I used Rice Krispies to make this recipe?
Yes, although be aware that Rice Krispies contain added sugar.
More snack bar recipes
If you like this you might like one of these other snack bars:
- healthy oat beetroot bars
- blueberry and banana porridge bars
- pumpkin pie bars
- no bake cereal bars
- buckwheat bars
- carrot cake bars
- orange chocolate tiffin
- peanut butter bars
Or you might like my healthy chickpea cookie dough.
What ingredients do you need to make puffed rice freezer bars?
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
You will need the following ingredients:
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- puffed rice
- ground almonds
- dried cherries
- dairy free chocolate chips, optional.
How to make freezer bars
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
No bake puffed rice and cherry freezer bars
- 20 g coconut oil
- 110 g maple syrup
- 100 g puffed rice
- 70 g ground almonds
- 75 g dried cherries or other dried fruit
- 40 g raisins
- 50 g dairy free chocolate chips optional
- Grease a 20x30cm baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Heat 20g coconut oil and 110g maple syrup together in a small pan over a low heat until the coconut oil has melted. Allow to cool a little.
- Place 100g puffed rice, 70g ground almonds, 75g dried fruit eg cherries, 40g raisins, 50g chocolate chips (if using) in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Pour the coconut oil and syrup mixture over the top and stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Tip into the prepared baking tray and press down well. You may find that it helps to cover the top with another sheet of baking paper and use a small rolling pin or glass to help smooth it down.
- Freeze for an hour, then remove from the freezer and cut into squares or bars. Transfer to a Tupperware dish with a lid and store in the freezer.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide.
- An adult will be able to eat these shortly after removing from the freezer but you may want to let them defrost slightly before serving to your child - not too long though or they won't hold together.
Pin freezer bars for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
NB: this recipe was originally made with Rude Health's honey spelt puffs. This is my new vegan-friendly version.