Ripe avocados blended with basil, garlic and pine nuts make the most incredible, creamy avocado pesto. Perfect with pasta.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with * where possible.
Ripe avocados are incredibly creamy. This means that they break down very easily when blended or mashed making them perfect for dips like guacamole or for a pasta sauce like pesto.
Avocados are a great source of healthy fats and also contain vitamin E and other nutrients.
Above all this avocado pesto is really quick and easy to make.
It can be easily adapted to suit your family's different dietary requirements.
Plus it can be made in the time it takes for the pasta to cook, making it a speedy dinner that's perfect for busy weeknights.
Avocado pesto tips
- Avocado pesto is suitable for babies and toddlers if you omit the salt.
- Make it vegan by using nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan alternative.
- Or make it vegetarian by using vegetarian parmesan cheese alternative.
- Be sure to use ripe avocados for a creamy pesto. Overripe avocados can be used but discard any brown bits.
- Avocado browns very quickly. Therefore this pesto is best made while the pasta is cooking and served immediately.
Avocado pesto ingredients
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
To make avocado pesto you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 30g pine nuts
- Juice 1/ 2 lemon
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or grated parmesan cheese (or vegan or vegetarian alternative)
- 50ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste, optional
How to make avocado pesto
2. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides down once or twice. Taste and add salt and pepper (if using).
3. Stir through cooked pasta and heat gently until warm.
If you've made this recipe please a star rating and comment below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 30 g pine nuts
- ½ lemon juiced
- Small handful basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese or vegan or vegetarian alternative
- 50 ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides down once or twice.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste (if using) and pulse again.
- Stir through cooked pasta and heat gently to warm through, stirring often.
- Best eaten fresh as avocado turns brown quickly.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- If serving to a baby or young child omit the salt.
- Nutritional information is approximate and intended as a guide only. It doesn't include the pasta.
Pin avocado pesto for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.