Chocolate beetroot pancakes for breakfast is the perfect way to start your weekend. Pancakes are always a winner and knowing that your kids have started the day with a portion of hidden vegetables is always good too. Includes a recipe for raw chocolate hazelnut sauce.
It would seem that we really like chocolate beetroot recipes here in the Sneaky Veg household.
More chocolate beetroot recipes
Over the past few years I've posted recipes for:
- chocolate beetroot brownies
- chocolate beetroot cake
- chocolate beetroot fairy cakes
- chocolate beetroot granola
These chocolate and beetroot pancakes are perfect for Pancake Day
Today being Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, the kids weren't going to forgive me if I didn't make some pancakes for them.
When I was a kid we used to have the thin crepe-style pancakes invariably with lemon and sugar. Mmm, they were delicious. I remember eating lots and lots of them in a row. I'm pretty sure we didn't have pancakes again for the rest of the year.
These days I make pancakes a fair bit - although usually only on the weekends. This is because getting the three kids out of the house and to school on time is a hair raising experience.
It definitely doesn't leave time for pancake making. Apart from on the days when Baby S wakes up at 5.30am of course, but on those days I'm usually in more of a mood to prioritise making coffee!
Either way, I tend to make the smaller, fatter American style pancakes.
All three kids absolutely loved these pancakes. There's no added sugar in them. If you prefer your pancakes on the sweeter side then by all means add in a little bit of caster sugar if you prefer.
Pin chocolate beetroot pancakes for later
How to make chocolate beetroot pancakes
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Chocolate beetroot pancakes with raw chocolate hazelnut sauce
For the chocolate hazelnut sauce
- 100 g ground hazelnuts
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 40 ml water
For the pancakes (makes around 12)
- 250 g cooked beetroot puréed
- 120 g plain flour I used half spelt and half wholemeal but you could use plain white flour, all spelt or all wholemeal if preferred
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 200 ml milk plant or dairy, I used almond milk
- 25 g butter or margarine melted
- Oil or butter for cooking
For the chocolate and hazelnut sauce
- Place the ground hazelnuts, maple syrup and raw cacao powder into a food processor and process until well blended. Gradually add the water. This is based on a Deliciously Ella recipe.
For the pancakes
- Whisk together the flour, cacao powder and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl beat together the egg and milk.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir in the melted butter and the puréed beetroot.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat a little butter or oil. Add dollops of the mixture and smear into a circle shape with the back of a spoon. Cook over a low-ish heat for 2-3 minutes on each side to ensure that the pancake is fully cooked through without burning on the outside. Remove and set aside before repeating. It's best not to overcrowd the pan if you can avoid it.
- Serve immediately with the chocolate sauce and your favourite berries on the side.