Jazz up your cheese on toast with this easy recipe for cheesy leeks on toast. In fact it's so easy that it probably doesn't really count as a recipe.
Today is St David's Day - the Welsh national day. Seeing as leeks are one of the emblems of Wales I have chosen today to publish a couple of posts about leeks.
If you'd like to know more about leeks, why they're good for you and how to cook them then read my How to cook leeks post.
Cheesy leeks is a classic combination
Leeks are one of my favourite vegetables and cheesy leeks is such a classic combination. Whether they're meeting in a side dish, in a leek and cheese bake or even with pasta they're a match made in heaven.
However, it's cheesy leeks on toast that is my current favourite way to enjoy leeks. It's just so easy to make and tastes wonderful.
Other vegetarian leek ideas
Leeks make a great base for most dishes where you might use onion but I often keep it really simple where cooking with leeks is concerned.
They are lovely fried in olive oil and mixed with pine nuts for a simple side dish or stirred into pasta.
Vegetarian leek recipes
- Quorn chicken and leek pie
- Leek, pear and parsnip cakes
- Freekeh salad with cauliflower, butterbeans and leeks
- Leek fritters
Pin how to make cheesy leeks on toast for later
How to make cheesy leeks on toast:
I love leeks with cheese on toast - it's a really easy way to get a portion of vegetables in to your diet at lunchtime AND make cheese on toast just a little bit more exciting.
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Cheesy leeks on toast
- 2-3 slices of bread
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 medium leeks washed and sliced into rounds (see how to cook leeks)
- 50 g cheddar cheese grated
- 3 tbsp milk
- Heat your grill and lightly toast the bread on both sides.
- Gently heat the butter or olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the leeks and cook over a medium heat, stirring often, for around 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add two thirds of the grated cheese and the milk to the leeks and mix well.
- Spoon on to the toast and sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top.
- Grill until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to turn brown.