This sweet potato buckwheat salad is served with blueberries - and it's a brilliant combination for a healthy vegetarian lunch.
Like many families we eat a lot of berries.
And while they're delicious as a snack, in a fruit salad or with yoghurt and granola for breakfast, berries are also amazing in savoury dishes.
This sweet potato, buckwheat and blueberry salad is:
- great for lunch boxes
- nutritious, and
Berries are delicious in salads
Blueberries work particularly well in salads.
Here I've created a delicious recipe for using mood-boosting blueberries with sweet potatoes and buckwheat.
This is a great meal to eat if you need a pick me up - and is a good way to introduce salads to reluctant children.
Sweet potatoes and blueberries are way more popular around here than green leaves!
Seasonal Berries* challenged me to create a recipe using mood boosting berries. The company has worked with food psychologist Dr Christy Fergusson, from Channel 4’s Secret Eaters on a #BeBerryBright campaign.
They have come up with a list of good mood foods that can help combat the winter blues. As well as berries, the following are all good choices to boost your mood:
- brazil nuts
What is buckwheat?
It may resemble a grain but buckwheat is a actually a seed. And despite the name it's naturally gluten free.
Sometimes known as kasha, buckwheat is popular in Russia, Eastern Europe and Asia.
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
To make this salad you'll need:
- sweet potatoes - I used two orange and two purple but you can use what's available
- olive oil
- walnuts - replace with pumpkin seeds for nut free version
- fresh thyme
- maple syrup, optional
How to make buckwheat salad with sweet potato, blueberry and walnut
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Roasted sweet potato, blueberry, walnut and buckwheat salad
- 4 medium sweet potatoes I used two orange and two purple
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g buckwheat
- 500 ml water
- 150 g blueberries
- 50 g walnut halves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves picked and finely chopped
- Maple syrup optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Peel and dice your four sweet potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 35-40 minutes until cooked through, stirring half way.
- Rinse 200g buckwheat well in cold water. Place in a saucepan with 500ml water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Lightly toast 50g walnut halves on a dry frying pan.
- Add the cooked buckwheat to the sweet potatoes along with the toasted walnuts, 150g blueberries and a little freshly chopped thyme.
- Mix carefully and transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Pin buckwheat salad with sweet potato, blueberry and walnut for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Disclaimer: this is a collaborative post with Seasonal Berries. Read my full disclosure.