Make a fun and healthy snack for the kids today with this ants on a log recipe. Simply spread peanut butter and raisins on a celery stick for a classic bit of foodie fun. Great for birthday parties too.
An after school snack that contains vegetables and plant-based protein AND takes just a couple of minutes to make?
I'm sure I'm not the only parent out there to see that as the holy grail.
Ants on a log - or celery with peanut butter and raisins - is one such snack.
What is ants on a log?
Ants on a log is a very simple snack that's extremely popular in the United States.
It is simply celery sticks spread with peanut butter (the log). Raisins are dotted along the peanut butter (the ants).
The name ants on a log is said to originate from the 1950s, although stuffed celery was popular from the 1900s.
The perfect way to eat celery?
The savouriness of the peanut butter, the sweetness of the raisins and the crunch of the celery stalk make ants on a log a great and satisfying snack.
It's also extremely healthy. Celery is really good for you - find out more about why on Super Healthy Kids.
And if you buy unsweetened peanut butter it's a great source of plant-based protein.
Great for kids to make
Getting kids involved in food prep is always a good idea. It can help with picky eating, making them more likely to try new foods, as well as teaching them valuable life skills.
Making ants on a log is a very easy recipe that even toddlers can make.
Here are some simple jobs to give your children to help them to make their own ants on a log:
- Wash the celery sticks. If necessary they can be trimmed - older children can help with this stage too.
- Spread the peanut butter on to the celery stick - even little kids can help with this.
- Add the raisins - try counting them as you go.
You can, of course, play around with celery spread with peanut butter to make it your own.
- Don't like peanut butter? Try cashew or almond instead.
- Make it with cream cheese and pumpkin seeds for a savoury version.
- Hummus also works well as would most savoury dips.
- Use chocolate chips instead of raisins for a fun treat.
What ingredients do you need?
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
This recipe really couldn't be easier. All you need are the following ingredients:
- peanut butter
How to make ants on log
This really couldn't be easier. It takes just a few minutes to make ants on a log, making it a perfect after school snack.
If you've made this recipe please a star rating and comment below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Ants on a log
- 4 celery sticks washed and trimmed
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- small handful raisins
- Spread the peanut butter onto the hollow side of each celery stick.
- Place the raisins on top of the peanut butter and serve.
Check out my other snacks recipes.
Pin ants on a log for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.