Cheese and broccoli muffins
These cheese and broccoli muffins are perfect lunchbox fillers and they also make a good snack or lunch for toddlers.
- 200 g broccoli chopped into florets and steamed until soft
- 360 g natural yoghurt or dairy free alternative
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated, or dairy free alternative
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 1 large egg or flax egg* beaten
- 225 g self-raising flour
- pinch salt optional
Preheat oven to 200°C(fan)/220°C/gas mark 7.
Place 15 muffin cases in a muffin tin.*
If using a flax egg mix 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds with 2 tablespoons of cold water and set aside.
Mash your cooked broccoli or pulse with a handheld stick blender until well broken down.
Put 360g yoghurt, 80ml sunflower oil and a beaten egg (or flax egg) into a mixing bowl and mix well.
Add the 200g cooked, mashed broccoli and 100g grated cheese and stir well. For a very smooth muffin you can blend this mixture.
Sift over 225g self raising flour and a pinch of salt (if using) and fold into the broccoli mixture with a metal spoon. If your mixture looks on the dry side add a little milk to loosen it.
Spoon the mixture into your muffin cases and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the tin for a few minutes before tipping out and cooling on a wire rack.
Once completely cool store in an airtight container for 3-5 days or in the freezer.
- You can also make these smaller if you have a mini muffin tin. Use 24 cases and reduce the cooking time to 12-15 minutes.
- To make a flax egg mix 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir well and leave to thicken for 2-3 minutes before using. You can also use chia seeds.
- Nutritional information relates to non-vegan version.
Calories: 152kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 5gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 61mgPotassium: 105mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 190IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 87mgIron: 1mg