Carrot Christmas loaf cake
If you love Christmas spices you'll love this carrot Christmas loaf cake. All the festive flavours you could ever want and a portion of veg too.
- 20 g candied orange peel chopped
- 150 g butter or dairy free spread softened
- 150 g dark muscavado sugar or coconut sugar
- 175 g carrots peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs beaten or 2 x flax eggs (see notes)
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 100 g mixed dried fruit currants, sultanas, cranberries
- 1 tablespoon milk
Pre-heat the oven to 160°C(fan)/180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
Place the butter, sugar, carrots, eggs, flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl and beat well until blended.
Add the candied peel and dried fruit and stir in well. If necessary add the milk to loosen the batter. Spoon it into the tin.
Bake in the oven for around an hour until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. This took around an hour and ten minutes in my oven.
Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. If making the vegan version leave to cool in the tin completely before turning out.
- To make two flax eggs you'll need 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (linseed). Add 6 tablespoons of cold water, stir and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Calories: 242kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 4gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 181mgPotassium: 157mgFiber: 2gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 2928IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 62mgIron: 1mg