Banana almond muffins
Sweet and satisfying, these banana and almond muffins are sweetened with dates, maple syrup and bananas. They're the perfect snack for anyone looking to cut down on sugar.
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 50 g dates chopped*, use medjool dates if possible
- 50 g maple syrup or agave
- 125 g coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 g plain flour or wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g ground almonds
Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
Mash 3 ripe bananas in a bowl. Place your 50g chopped dates into a food processor** or blender and pulse until you have a paste. Add 50g maple syrup and blend again until you have a paste.
Transfer the date paste to a mixing bowl then add 125g melted coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Whisk well until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar and lemon juice and stir.
Put a sieve on top of the mixing bowl and add 250g plain flour, ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp baking powder. Remove the sieve and add 50g ground almonds. Gently fold into the mixture.
Finally add the bananas and gently mix in.
Spoon into the muffin cases then bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Remove from the oven, leave in the tin for a few minutes then cool on a wire rack.
- *If your dates are dry soak them in hot water for 20 minutes before starting this recipe. Drain before pulsing.
- **If your food processor has a small jug use that. You could also do this using a stick blender in a tall jug or even with a pestle and mortar.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide.
Calories: 240kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 3gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 9gSodium: 82mgPotassium: 166mgFiber: 2gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 19IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 39mgIron: 1mg