Homemade hummus for babies
This recipe for homemade hummus for babies contains all the ingredients you'd expect to see in the traditional chickpea and tahini dip - minus the salt. Perfect for baby led weaning, toddler snacks and baby lunches.
- 400 g tinned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 clove garlic crushed (optional)*
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp water
- salt to serve (optional)*
- extra olive oil, za'atar, oregano or paprika to serve (optional)*
If you wish you can lightly sauté the garlic in olive oil before adding to the hummus to make it a gentler taste for babies. You can also remove the skins from the chickpeas if you wish, but this isn't essential.
Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, tahini and olive oil to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add one tablespoon of water and blend again. Add the other tablespoon gradually until you have the desired consistency. I find that the smoother the better when serving this to babies.
Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and some oregano, za'atar or paprika to serve if desired.
Keeps for a couple of days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- If you want a really mild hummus to serve to your baby you can leave the garlic out.
- Remove your baby's portion before adding salt or extra oil, herbs or spices.