Savoury cheese and sweet potato muffins
A delicious recipe for savoury cheese and sweet potato muffins that's perfect for toddler snacks, packed lunches and picnics. Recipe includes vegan adaptation.
- 225 g plain flour I usually use wholemeal or spelt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- 90 g unsalted butter or dairy free spread melted
- 175 g plain yoghurt use dairy free if vegan
- 1 egg beaten or 1 flax egg*
- 90 g sweet potato purée*
- 90 g cheese eg cheddar, vegan cheddar-style cheese grated
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
Sift the flour, baking powder and paprika (if using) together into a large mixing bowl.
Beat the melted butter, yoghurt and beaten egg together in a separate bowl.
Stir the sweet potato and cheddar cheese into the flour, then add the yoghurt mixture, being careful not to over mix.
Spoon equal amounts into the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the muffins spring back when you touch them.
- To make a flax egg mix 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (linseed) with 3 tablespoons of cold water and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- Make your sweet potato purée ahead of time.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide.
Calories: 174kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 5gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 98mgPotassium: 96mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1821IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 101mgIron: 1mg