Healthy hot chocolate with almond butter
This healthy hot chocolate is made with almond butter and sweetened with dates. It has a rich, delicious flavour and really hits the spot. It’s also dairy free so suitable for vegans.
- 500 ml almond milk
- 50 g almond butter
- 2-3 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder depending on how chocolatey you want it to be
- 2 medjool dates or four dried dates soaked in hot water for 10 minutes then drained, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated dark chocolate shavings to serve (optional)
Place 500ml almond milk, 50g almond butter, 2-3 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder, your chopped dates and a tsp of vanilla extract into a blender.
Pulse until smooth.
Transfer to a saucepan and heat until just before boiling*.
Spoon into mugs and serve with grated chocolate shavings if using. Allow to cool if serving to children.
- When boiled milk can taste a little burnt so it's best to heat your hot chocolate until just before boiling.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Calories: 136kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 4gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 164mgPotassium: 215mgFiber: 3gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 18IUCalcium: 204mgIron: 1mg