Looking for an easy mid-week dinner that is vegetarian, thrifty, family-friendly and seasonal? Look no further - this veggie sausage bake with potato and vegetables ticks all the boxes. Suitable for vegans.
I've used seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower and swede to make this veggie sausage bake. However, you can substitute other veggies as you please.
Traybakes are a great way to introduce children to a new vegetable. Two out of my three kids ate the swede without noticing that it was different to potato! Of course, R, my eldest, could tell immediately he sat down and just ignored the swede on his plate.
Still - there was a time when he would have run out of the kitchen crying if there was something unfamiliar on his plate so I'm calling this progress.
Roasted cauliflower is a game changer
If you think you don't like cauliflower, but you've never tried it roasted, then you have to try this. I recently asked my Instagram followers how they like to cook their cauliflower and amongst loads of lovely ideas, roasting it definitely came out on top.
Little S, who has just turned two, can't get enough of roasted cauliflower and actually picks it out and eats it all first. (He also leaves all the sausages proving that children, even siblings, can be VERY different in their food likes and dislikes)
Traybakes are brilliant for midweek meals
Traybakes are a great way to make a tasty mid-week dinner with a lot less stress. You can often do the prep in advance if that helps, and then just bung them in the oven when it's time for dinner, leaving you free to play with the kids, help with homework, or if you're really lucky, have a cuppa.
For more traybake inspiration check out my blogging friend Eb over at easypeasyfoodie.com who has been called the Queen of the Traybake on more than one occasion. She has a lovely winter vegetable traybake and many of her other non-vegetarian traybakes can be easily adapted.
Other vegetarian root vegetable recipes
- Swede and ginger cake
- Mashed swede with nutmeg
- Root vegetable soup
- Maple balsamic roasted carrots and parsnips
- Winter vegetable soup
- Maple roasted swede with cumin
Pin veggie sausage bake for later
How to make this veggie sausage bake:
Veggie sausage bake
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 vegan sausages chilled or frozen
- 8 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 medium swede (rutabaga) peeled and diced
- 1 large cauliflower broken into florets
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place 12 vegan sausages, 8 diced potatoes, a diced swede, florets from one cauliflower and 2 sprigs of rosemary into a large roasting tin. You may need to use two.
- Drizzle over some olive oil and mix well.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until the sausages are brown and the potatoes and swede are cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve cabbage, other greens or baked beans on the side.
If you like this you might like this simple veggie sausage pasta traybake.