If you’re looking for an easy mid-week dinner that is veggie, thrifty, family-friendly and seasonal then look no further – this vegetarian sausage traybake with potato and vegetables ticks all the boxes.
It uses seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower and swede – although you can substitute other veggies as you please – and is a great way to introduce children to a new vegetable. Two out of my three kids ate the swede without noticing that it was different to potato! Of course, R, my eldest, could tell immediately he sat down and just ignored the swede on his plate. Still – there was a time when he would have run out of the kitchen crying if there was something unfamiliar on his plate so I’m calling this progress.
If you think you don’t like cauliflower, but you’ve never tried it roasted, then you have to try this. I recently asked my Instagram followers how they like to cook their cauliflower and amongst loads of lovely ideas, roasting it definitely came out on top. Little S, who has just turned two, can’t get enough of roasted cauliflower and actually picks it out and eats it all first. (He also leaves all the sausages proving that children, even siblings, can be VERY different in their food likes and dislikes). It’s very nice in curry too.
Traybakes are a great way to make a tasty mid-week dinner with a lot less stress. You can often do the prep in advance if that helps, and then just bung them in the oven when it’s time for dinner, leaving you free to play with the kids, help with homework, or if you’re really lucky, have a cuppa. For more traybake inspiration check out my blogging friend Eb over at easypeasyfoodie.com who has been called the Queen of the Traybake on more than one occasion. She has a lovely winter vegetable traybake and many of her other non-vegetarian traybakes can be easily adapted.
Here’s how to make this vegetarian sausage traybake with potatoes and vegetables:
Serves 2 adults, 3 children
- Olive oil
- 12 vegetarian sausages, chilled or frozen
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium swedes, peeled and diced
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the sausages, potatoes, vegetables and rosemary into a large roasting tin. You may need to use two.
- Drizzle over some olive oil and mix well.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until the sausages are brown and the potatoes and swede are cooked through.
- Serve with your preferred veggies on the side. I like it with lots of cabbage or other greens. It's also lovely with baked beans.