Drink your way to five a day with this refreshing and nutritious tropical fruits and cauliflower smoothie. Suitable for vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
A cauliflower smoothie - are you serious?
Have I finally taken this sneaky veg malarky too far? Actually I'm not alone. It turns out that cauliflower smoothies are a "thing" at the moment and I say why not?
It's not that different to including kale or spinach in a smoothie after all and my kids are much more likely to drink a yellow smoothie than a green one.
Smoothies are a great way to get extra portions of veg in to your diet
As you'll know if you've been here before my kids aren't very good at eating their vegetables. I've tried every strategy I can think of to get my picky eaters to eat their veggies with mixed results.
I now tend to adopt a hands off approach. I serve up the vegetables and the kids decide whether to eat them or not. You can probably guess what they decide.
Although of course, just to be difficult I have a toddler who is the opposite to his older siblings and eats up all his veg!
Because I would prefer that they ate some vegetables rather than go through their entire childhood without consuming any I do create hidden vegetable recipes to serve up to them.
This cauliflower smoothie is one such recipe. It was a huge hit with my kids, especially my picky seven-year-old who doesn't eat any fruit or vegetables.
What did I serve the smoothie in?
I used our Nom Nom Kids pouches* to give these to the kids.
They are like the pouches that you can buy baby food and fruit purées in. However, they are reusable allowing you to make your own homemade smoothies and baby food.
Nom Nom Kids pounches come in two sizes. I bought the larger ones for my kids and I genuinely think that this is a brilliant product.
You can freeze the smoothie directly in the pouches (take care not to overfill). They're perfect for adding to lunch boxes in the morning - acting as both an ice pack and a delicious, healthy drink for lunch time.
You will need a high powered blender to make this smoothie.
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
To make this smoothie you will need:
- 100g cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- 150g tropical fruits eg pineapple, mango, papaya (fresh or frozen)
- 300ml orange juice
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds (optional - adds extra nutrients)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional - helps to mask the taste of the cauliflower)
How to make a tropical cauliflower smoothie
If you've made this recipe please a leave a star rating and comment below. Thank you
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Tropical cauliflower smoothie
- 100 g cauliflower broken into florets, fresh or frozen*
- 1 ripe banana fresh or frozen*
- 150 g mixed tropical fruit pineapple, papaya, mango (ideally frozen)*
- 300 ml orange juice
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds (linseed) optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Put 100g cauliflower florets, 1 ripe banana, 150g tropical fruit, 300ml orange juice 1 teaspoon flax seeds (if using) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (if using) into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve in a glass or pouch and enjoy!
- If you're using fresh fruit you may wish to add some ice to the blender too.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Love cauliflower? You might also like how to roast cauliflower.
Pin tropical cauliflower smoothie for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I'll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.