An easy recipe for red pasta sauce that's packed full of goodness. Made with tomatoes and red peppers, this recipe is a great one for picky eaters. Ideal for pasta but also works well as a pizza topping.
There are so many pasta sauce recipes that we love to eat. This red pasta sauce recipe is one of our favourites. Made in much the same way as a classic tomato sauce, but with red peppers added for flavour and nutrition, this easy sauce recipe is sure to become one of your favourites too.
How to use red pasta sauce
This red pepper pasta sauce is, of course, ideal for serving with pasta. Whatever your preferred type of pasta, be it spaghetti, penne or tortellini, this sauce is a great accompaniment. However, it goes well with many other recipes as well, for example:
Do you have to blend this sauce?
No. If you prefer, you can of course leave some of the vegetables unblended, but this works best for us when all the vegetables are blended together.
More pasta sauce recipes
Here are some more pasta sauce recipes that you might like:
- lentil and roasted cauliflower pasta sauce
- the ultimate sneaky veg sauce
- fresh tomato sauce
- smoky tomato and aubergine sauce
- hidden veg sauce
- broccoli pesto
- kale pesto
- cauliflower alfredo sauce
- sundried tomato pasta sauce
- roasted carrot pasta sauce
- creamy tomato sauce
Can you freeze this sauce?
Yes. This sauce is a great recipe to make ahead and freeze in batches. Allow it to cool completely before transferring to a freezer bag or box.
Do you need any special equipment for this recipe?
You will need a blender or food processor for this recipe, unless you prefer to enjoy it unblended.
A hand held blender will do the job, but the results won't be as smooth.
Pin red pasta sauce for later
How to make red pepper pasta sauce
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Red pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 800 g tinned chopped tomatoes 2 standard tins
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan with a lid. Add a chopped onion, stir, then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for ten minutes until soft.
- Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, stir and cook for one minute before adding a chopped red pepper. Stir well, then cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for a further ten minutes until soft.
- Once the vegetables are soft add your 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tbsp tomato puree. Stir well and cook for at least five minutes. If you have time leave this to cook for longer as this helps the flavour to develop.
- Once ready allow to sauce to cool a little before blending with a handheld blender or jug blender until smooth. For best results use a jug blender.