How can you get a picky eater to eat vegetables in their packed lunch? Bake with them! These sweet potato cookies are ridiculously easy to make, totally moreish and delicious, free from refined sugar, suitable for vegans, are nut free and freeze well. They’re my new favourite bake.
All you have to do is blend all the ingredients together (apart from the raisins, which you add at the end), form into balls, flatten and bake. Then you have a healthy, delicious cookie that’s full of hidden vegetables. It’s a perfect recipe to try with picky eaters. If you’re looking for more tips to help your picky eater to eat their vegetables read this guest post from Simone Emery of Play With Food.
I made these sweet potato and orange oaty cookies in my Froothie Optimum G2.3 blender*. It took just a minute or two to break the mixture down to the right consistency. If you’re thinking of buying a new blender you can read my review of the G2.3 blender here.
After some initial uncertainty my seven year old son has decided that he loves these and keeps asking for more. I’ve just stuck the last of my freezer stash in his lunchbox for tomorrow so I’ll have to get another batch on the go. I don’t think I could manage to keep his lunch boxes so healthy without batch cooking recipes like these for the freezer. If you’re looking for veggie lunchbox inspiration check out my instagram feed where I’ve been sharing our daily lunch boxes.
Here’s how to make sweet potato cookies:
- 130g sweet potato purée
- 130g oats
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 30g raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place the sweet potato, the oats and the orange juice into a food processor or high powered blender and pulse until combined.
- Stir through the raisins.
- Roll into ten small balls. Place onto the baking tray and flatten with your hands or with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- These freeze well. Place a little greaseproof paper between each cookie, or freeze flat on a tray to stop them from sticking together.
Pin sweet potato and orange oaty cookies for later
*Affiliate link: I am a Froothie Ambassador. If you buy something after clicking on this link you will pay the same price but I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Sneaky Veg!