Layers of fresh berries, creamy yoghurt and crumbled biscuits - or granola - make up this delicious strawberry yoghurt parfait. This is a great dessert that's so simple even little kids can make it.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
A dessert so simple that even a small child can make it yet tastes great.
Surely such a thing doesn’t exist?
This yoghurt parfait is:
- easy to make dairy free or vegan
- great for the kids to make.
What is parfait?
A traditional parfait is a partially-frozen French dessert made from eggs, cream and sugar. See more traditional parfait recipes.
Parfait can also be savoury. My Leith’s Cookery Bible* contains a recipe for chicken liver parfait. Needless to say I haven’t made that recipe.
However, the term parfait is also used to describe a layered dessert or breakfast made of yoghurt, fruit and granola (or biscuits as I’ve used here).
A yoghurt parfait is usually served in a tall glass with a long handled spoon, known as a parfait spoon. In fact it’s similar to an ice cream sundae, a falooda or a knickerbocker glory. And indeed many other desserts enjoyed around the world.
Great for kids to make
One thing I love most about a yoghurt parfait is how easy it is to make.
It’s as simple as spooning different layers into a glass.
In fact it’s so simple that I have made it both with my daughter’s Brownie’s class (girls aged 7-11) AND with a class of toddlers (all aged under 4) in my work as a cookery teacher.
Any exposure to cooking is good for kids and letting them make their own dessert is a great place to start.
Weaning - babies and toddlers
Babies and toddlers can enjoy a yoghurt parfait too. Use soft, sugar free biscuits for young babies - or leave them out and simply layer strawberries and yoghurt.
For full recipe please see recipe card below.
- Yoghurt - a thick yoghurt works best. I use vegan yoghurt - I like coconut yoghurt or an oat Greek-style.
- Biscuits - can be subbed for granola - many shop bought biscuits are suitable for vegans but check the ingredients if you’re not sure.
- Sprinkles - optional but always popular with kids. Healthier sprinkle ideas include freeze-dried raspberries, homemade coconut sprinkles or spelt or rice puffs. Grated chocolate also works well.
Sub other fruits/berries
Other berries work well in yoghurt parfait too.
We like blueberries, raspberries or a mix of different berries.
Use frozen fruit
You can use frozen berries to make this but bear in mind that as they defrost they will release more juice making it harder to maintain the layers.
Make it for breakfast
Replace the biscuits with granola and voila! You have a delicious and healthy breakfast to enjoy.
- This is suitable for vegetarians.
- Use vegan yoghurt and biscuits to make it dairy and egg free.
- Use gluten free biscuits to make it gluten free.
This parfait is best eaten straight away as the biscuits start to go soft as they soak in the yoghurt.
However, if you do need to make it ahead it can be stored in the fridge for a few hours. Leave the sprinkles off until you’re ready to serve as the colour can leak into the yoghurt.
How to make yoghurt parfait
- Make this just before serving for best results.
- Use a thick, creamy yoghurt. I use a thick coconut yoghurt or a dairy free oat-based Greek-style yoghurt to make mine.
- Experiment with different berries until you have your favourite combination.
- Get the kids to help!
- Chop your strawberries and crumble your biscuits into small pieces.
- Put a layer of strawberries on the bottom of your glass or dish.
- Top with a layer of biscuits.
- Spoon over some yoghurt.
- Repeat the layers two or three times until the glass is full. Finish with a layer of yoghurt.
- Top with sprinkles.
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Strawberry yoghurt parfait
- Chopping board
- Glasses, for serving
- 200 g yoghurt*
- 2 biscuits* (cookies) crumbled
- 100 g strawberries chopped
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles optional
- Place a few chopped strawberries in the bottom of a glass. Use enough so that they reach the sides of the glass.
- Add some crumbled biscuits.
- Top with a few spoonfuls of yoghurt.
- Repeat the layers until you’ve used all the strawberries, biscuits and yoghurt.
- Top with sprinkles if desired.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide.
- Use vegan yoghurt and biscuits if needed.
Pin yoghurt parfait for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.