This roasted butternut squash sauce is a delicious creamy sauce that’s perfect on pasta or pizza. It's a delicious recipe that the whole family can enjoy, including babies and toddlers. And it's suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with * where possible.
Roasted butternut squash has an incredible flavour and in this easy recipe it makes a delicious creamy pasta sauce.
While I do love a classic tomato sauce for pasta or pizza, sometimes it’s really good to have a change.
My favourite pizza topping at the moment is this butternut squash sauce - it’s super creamy and tastes amazing.
It’s also really great with pasta - it’s almost like macaroni cheese in terms of creaminess but is made almost entirely from vegetables.
How difficult is this sauce to make?
This pasta sauce is SO easy to make. Because the butternut squash is roasted it takes a while to make but it’s really worth the wait because:
a. the oven does nearly all the work
b. roasted squash tastes AMAZING.
What should you serve with this sauce?
As I said above I love to use this sauce as a pizza topping instead of tomato sauce.
However, it works really well with any form of pasta - it’s delicious with spaghetti as pictured but you could also use it with penne or macaroni or in a lasagne.
What ingredients do you need to make butternut squash sauce?
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
You will need:
- A small butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Vegetable stock
Yep - it really is as simple as that.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes. This butternut squash sauce freezes really well.
Allow to cool completely then transfer to a freezer bag or box.
Label and freeze. Defrost thoroughly before use.
How to make butternut squash sauce
If you've made this recipe please a star rating and comment below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Roasted butternut squash sauce
For the roasted squash
- 1 small butternut squash weight approx 400g, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sprinkling of sea salt optional
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock use low salt for babies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (fan)/220°C/gas mark 7.
- Place your chopped butternut squash into a roasting tin and drizzle over 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkling of salt (omit for babies).
- Roast for 40 minutes, or until soft, stirring halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté the onion until soft - at least 10-15 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the butternut squash when cooked and allow to cool. Blend with a handheld blender or in a jug blender (take care using a jug blender of the steam coming out of the top if the sauce is still hot) until smooth. Season to taste with salt (omit salt for babies) and pepper.
- Serve with pasta, as a pizza topping.
Pin butternut squash sauce for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.