This roasted butternut squash sauce is a delicious creamy sauce that’s perfect on pasta or pizza. Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
I do love a classic tomato sauce for pasta or pizza but sometimes it’s really good to have a change. My favourite pizza topping at the moment is this butternut squash sauce - it’s super creamy and tastes amazing.
It’s also really great with pasta - it’s almost like macaroni cheese in terms of creaminess but is made almost entirely from vegetables.
How difficult is this sauce to make?
It’s not difficult to make. Because the butternut squash is roasted it takes a while to make but it’s really worth the wait because:
a. the oven does nearly all the work
b. roasted squash tastes AMAZING
What should you serve with this sauce?
As I said above I love to use this sauce as a pizza topping instead of tomato sauce.
However, it works really well with any form of pasta - it’s delicious with spaghetti as pictured but you could also use it with penne or macaroni or in a lasagne.
What ingredients do you need to make butternut squash sauce?
Full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
You will need:
- A small butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Vegetable stock
Yep - it really is as simple as that.
Do you need any special equipment to make this?
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes. This butternut squash sauce freezes really well. Allow to cool completely then transfer to a freezer bag or box. Label and freeze. Defrost thoroughly before use.
More recipes you might like
- Creamy tomato pasta sauce
- Roasted carrot sauce
- Sneaky Veg sauce
- Lentil and roasted cauliflower sauce
- Red pasta sauce
- Fresh tomato sauce
- Cauliflower sauce
- Butternut mac and cheese
- Lentil bolognese
Pin butternut squash sauce for later
How to make butternut squash sauce
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Roasted butternut squash sauce
For the roasted squash
- 1 small butternut squash weight approx 400g, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sprinkling of sea salt optional
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock use low salt for babies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (fan)/220°C/gas mark 7.
- Place your chopped butternut squash into a roasting tin and drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and a sprinkling of salt (omit for babies).
- Roast for 40 minutes, or until soft, stirring halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté the onion until soft - at least 10-15 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the butternut squash when cooked and allow to cool a little. Blend with a handheld blender or in a jug blender (take care using a jug blender of the steam coming out of the top) until smooth. Season to taste with salt (omit salt for babies) and pepper.
- Serve with pasta, as a pizza topping.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.