Super easy to make, these red lentil and sweet potato pizza swirls are made in minutes with ready made puff pastry, grated cheese and red lentil and sweet potato purée.
Pizza swirls are a family favourite here
Pizza swirls are so easy to make and they've long been one of my favourite snacks to make for my kids. They can happily devour a whole batch for lunch if I'm not careful so I usually whisk a few away to pop in the freezer for lunchboxes or make them when they're at school and freeze the lot.
Whether I serve these for lunch, at a picnic, at a birthday party, bring them along to school pick up or pop them in a lunchbox they're always enjoyed.
Making healthy snacks using baby purée
This time I've made them even easier than usual by using Baby Led Spreads* sweet potato and red lentil purée.
The spreads, which are all vegetarian or vegan, are suitable for babies but they also make a great ingredient to use for toddlers and older kids especially if you want to up their vegetable intake.
If you're wondering just how much veg your kid should be eating check out my veggies for kids post.
Introducing Baby Led Spreads
Baby Led Spreads make six flavours, all of which would work well in these pizza swirls. I chose to make mine with the sweet potato and red lentil because I wanted to add some protein. Here are the Baby Led Spreads flavours:
- ricotta and bean
- sweet potato and red lentil
- avocado, red pepper and tomato
- spicy pumpkin and chickpea
- green pea
- rocket and dill
- carrot, apple and hummus.
If you like this you might like this lentil and roasted cauliflower pasta sauce.
Pin red lentil and sweet potato pizza swirls for later
How to make puff pastry pizza swirls
Puff pastry pizza swirls are one of the easiest recipes there is! If you buy ready rolled puff pastry you simply have to unroll the pastry, spread over your sauce and cover with grated cheese and some dried herbs. Then you roll them up, cut into slices and bake in the oven.
They are so easy to make that they're the ideal recipe to cook with your kids. Even my three year old can make these almost singlehandedly - I do the oven part of course.
These can easily be made vegan by using dairy free cheese. Most ready made puff pastry is vegan but check if you're not sure.
Easy peasy red lentil and sweet potato pizza swirls
- 320 g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 3 pots of Baby Led Spreads red lentil and sweet potato purée or preferred flavour
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Roll out your puff pastry and place it on a baking tray on top of the baking paper that comes in the pack with it.
- Spread the purée over the top of the pastry.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese and dried oregano evenly over the pastry.
- Roll up your pastry tightly along the long edge until you have a swirl shape. If you have time place it in the fridge now for 30 minutes as this will make it easier to cut - this isn’t essential however.
- Cut into 10 1-inch sized slices and place swirl side up on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.
If you like this you might like these pizza crackers.
*Disclaimer: This is a collaborative post with Baby Led Spreads.