Quick, easy and tasty, these carrot fritters are a delicious and frugal vegan lunch. Suitable for babies and toddlers too.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with * where possible.
You'll love my quick and easy carrot fritters whether you're:
- a parent looking for easy carrot recipes for your kids
- a vegan looking for a budget meal idea
- you're about to embark on baby led weaning and are looking for new ways to serve carrots, or
- just someone looking for a new carrot recipe!
Once the grating is over and done with (use a food processor if you have one) these fritters don't take long to make at all.
The grated carrot is simply mixed with a few herbs and spices, a little baking powder and some gram flour (more about this below). Slowly mix in some water until you have a thick batter.
Once you have your batter all that remains is to fry your fritters. They take 5-6 minutes to cook and you'll need to do them in several batches.
What to serve with carrot fritters
To make salad more baby-friendly, try serving cucumber, crunchy lettuce and peppers in long strips so they're easier to pick up. Be sure to always cut small tomatoes lengthways for babies so they're not a choking hazard.
If you're after a more substantial meal add some extra vegetable dishes. For example patatas bravas goes really well with a portion of fritters.
Suitable for babies
These fritters are ideal finger food for babies and toddlers and are great if you're doing baby led weaning.
They're a good size for small hands to pick up.
Simply omit the salt if you're making these for babies.
Read more about cooking for babies.
Can these carrot fritters go in the freezer?
Yes. Allow the fritters to cool completely then place in a freezer bag or box with a little bit of baking paper between each one to stop them sticking together.
Alternatively you can flash freeze them. This means freezing them for an hour on a tray or board before transferring to a container.
What is gram flour?
If you're a regular Sneaky Veg reader you might have noticed that I use gram flour* quite a lot. But what exactly is gram flour?
Gram flour, also known as besan or chickpea flour, is a flour made from chickpeas. It's commonly used in Indian cooking, but Italian and other European cuisines also use it.
It's a brilliant binding agent making it invaluable for vegans and anyone who doesn't, or can't eat eggs.
Many Indian recipes, for example pakora, are made with gram flour and it holds everything together beautifully. At the same time it is packed full of protein and tastes great.
Can you substitute plain flour for the gram flour?
No, unfortunately plain wheat flour won't bind the ingredients together in the same way that gram flour does.
How to make vegan carrot fritters
If you've made this recipe please a leave a star rating and comment below. Thank you
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Quick carrot fritters
For the fritters
- 3 medium carrots grated
- 90 g gram flour (chickpea flour/besan) sifted to remove lumps
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch chilli powder optional
- 120 ml water
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped parsley or coriander (cilantro)
- Salt and pepper to taste omit salt for babies
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Place 3 grated carrots, 90g gram flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 120ml cold water and 2-4 tablespoons chopped herbs into a large mixing bowl and stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
- Add a spoonful of the mixture and reduce the heat to low.
- Flatten down the fritter with the back of a spoon or a fork.
- Add 1 or 2 more spoonfuls depending on how much space you have in the pan. Don’t over fill it or they'll be tricky to turn over.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes before turning each fritter over carefully with a spatula.
- Cook the other side for several minutes. Press down gently on the top of the fritters with the spatula to check that no liquid batter squirts out. If it does you need to keep cooking for a little longer.
- Drain on kitchen paper. Can be kept warm in a low oven if needed.
Pin carrot fritters for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.