In need of a quick and easy lunch idea? Pizza toast ticks all the boxes and it's always popular here with my kids. Simply toast some bread, add tomato, or sneaky veg sauce and cheese and melt under a hot grill. Add sliced tomato, basil or other toppings to make it your own. And of course it can easily be veganised by using a meltable dairy free cheese.
Pizza toast is exactly what it sounds like - toast with tomato sauce and cheese.
Add toppings if you like - we like to keep it simple with sliced tomato and basil. However, sliced mushrooms, sweetcorn and olives are all good too. See below for more toppings ideas.
But the beauty of pizza toast is in its simplicity. It takes just minutes to make and is without fail a winner in the Sneaky Veg household.
Here's why we love pizza toast:
- for pizza-obsessed kids it's a healthier alternative to an oven pizza
- easily veganised
- can be made with wholemeal bread - a good source of fibre
- add extra veggies into the sauce to make it more nutritious
- takes just a few minutes to make
- no-one ever complains when this is for lunch!
Ingredients for pizza toast
To make pizza toast all you need is:
- bread - I usually use sliced wholemeal bread but white bread, sourdough or pitta bread all work well too.
- tomato-based sauce - this could be shop bought or home made. Passata from a jar or homemade sneaky veg sauce (I keep this in batches in the freezer) are my favourites.
- grated cheese - cheddar or mozzarella work well. I usually use dairy free cheese - be sure to choose one that melts well.
- sliced tomato - optional.
- basil leaves - optional - dried oregano is also good.
- Sliced tomato
- Dried oregano
- Thinly sliced bell pepper (capsicum)
Make it vegan
- Use dairy free cheese - select one that melts well.
- Check the ingredients in your bread.
Make it gluten free
- Use gluten free bread.
Pizza toast is best eaten straight after cooking.
However, if you know you're going to be in a rush with hungry kids, then you can prep all the ingredients in advance.
Chop any veggies you're using as toppings, grate the cheese and prepare your tomato sauce.
Then you'll be able to get your pizza toast on the table in minutes.
As mentioned above pizza toast is best eaten fresh.
Around here we never have leftovers but if you find yourself with some leftover slices that no-one can manage to eat fresh, they'll be fine to be stored in the fridge and eaten cold within 1-2 days. If you enjoy cold pizza then you might like this too!
How to make pizza toast
1. Preheat your grill to high.
2. Lightly toast two slices of bread.
3. Spread with tomato sauce.
4. Sprinkle over some grated cheese.
5. If using add sliced tomato and basil leaves - or the toppings of your choice.
6. Place under your pre-heated grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is turning golden.
If you've made this recipe and loved it please leave a comment and star rating - thanks so much.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
- 2 slices bread brown or white
- 80 g passata or tomato sauce or sneaky veg sauce
- 50 g grated cheese use dairy free if vegan
- 1 tomato sliced, optional
- Basil or oregano
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Lightly toast two slices of bread.
- Spread with tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle over some grated cheese.
- If using add sliced tomato and basil leaves - or the toppings of your choice.
- Place under your pre-heated grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is turning golden.