This vegetarian minestrone soup recipe is delicious and is packed full of vegetables. It's really versatile and you can change the vegetables listed below for pretty much anything you have available.
I love a recipe that helps you get your five-a-day and this minestrone soup is certainly one of those recipes. It's packed with delicious fresh vegetables, as well as a filling portion of pasta.
Minestrone soup is warming, fresh and delicious. It's a great vegetarian and vegan meal that the whole family can enjoy.
What is minestrone soup?
Minestrone soup originates from Italy. It's a thick soup that contains vegetables and pasta. Ingredients vary but it usually includes onions, carrots, vegetable stock and tomatoes. Beans are often used too.
What did the kids think of this minestrone soup?
Now, this is of course a challenging soup to serve up to two kids who claim not to like any vegetables and of course they weren't very impressed when they saw it on the table. In fact, R even cried.
We've been trying to enforce a "you don't have to eat it, just don't cry or say yuck etc" rule for absolutely ages now but the message still hasn't got through. I have to remind myself that things have improved a lot from where they were a year or two ago, and that offering up meals like this is important at normalising vegetables for them.
Baby S absolutely loved this meal and polished off a whole portion two days in a row. I really liked it too and it's a great vegetarian soup recipe that works equally well for lunch or for dinner.
How to serve this minestrone soup
I served this with croutons, as I knew that the inclusion of some bread would make the mealtime a bit more harmonious (and it did help as there was at least one thing on the table they liked). It doesn't really need it though because the pasta makes it very filling.
This soup works well with grated cheese - either a vegetarian Parmesan or vegan alternative would work well.
Pin this vegetarian minestrone soup recipe for later
If you like this you might also like this root vegetable soup recipe.
How to make this vegetarian minestrone soup recipe:
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Vegetarian minestrone soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 courgette (zucchini) diced
- 2 red peppers (capsicum) diced
- large handful runner beans stringy bits removed and cut into 3-4 pieces (use green beans if runner beans aren't available)
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 150 g small dried pasta shapes
- 100 g frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of chopped parsley
- vegetarian or vegan Parmesan cheese alternative optional
- bread or croutons optional
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat in a large, heavy based saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and carrots, cover and sweat for 10 minutes until softening. Stir in the courgette, peppers, runner beans and oregano and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, beans and 1 litre of the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally, adding more stock if needed.
- Add the pasta shapes and frozen peas and cook for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is done. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and serve with grated parmesan (vegan or vegetarian) and croutons or bread if desired.