Perfect for Pancake Day, or indeed any time of year, these margherita pizza crepes are a brilliant kid-friendly lunch. Can be vegan or vegetarian and easily adapted with your favourite pizza toppings.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
There’s one food that my kids ask for over and over again: pizza. They’re borderline obsessed with it.
We usually do a make-your-own-pizza once once a week.
I try to make two meals out of this by saving a couple of slices of their pizza for their lunch box the next day.
What are pizza crepes?
Pizza crepes are simply crepes that are topped with tomato sauce, grated cheese and herbs.
The crepes are folded over and grilled so that the cheese melts.
Can I use ready made crepes?
Absolutely. This recipe is designed for convenience. Homemade crepes are delicious but they’re a little time consuming.
If you’re in a hurry then you can buy ready made crepes. This really speeds this recipe up.
Simply add your toppings and grill. Or even better get the kids to do it.
This recipe is a great one for getting the kids involved in the kitchen.
Do you need any special equipment for this recipe?
You will be able to make this recipe with standard equipment that you’ll probably have in your kitchen already including:
It is worth investing in a good non-stick pan to make crepes. You can get a special crepe pan* if you want. However, I use a chapati pan*, which does the job really well. However, any pan will do - as long as its non-stick.
What to serve with pizza crepes
My kids usually enjoy their pizza pancakes on their own.
However, you can make more of a meal of it by serving with some chopped veggies or salad on the side.
How to make pizza crepes
The crepes recipe included below is for vegan crepes. This recipe will work with any standard crepe recipe, or indeed with ready made crepes.
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
To make the crepes
- 180 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 400 ml oat milk or other dairy free milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil plus more for cooking
For the pizza filling
- 8 crepes from the recipe above or ready made
- 200 g passata or your favourite tomato sauce
- 100 g grated mozzarella or vegan alternative
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- basil leaves
- finely chopped red pepper
- chopped olives
To make the crepes
- Sift 180g plain flour and ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
- Pour 400ml milk in a jug. Add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons sunflower oil. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add this milk mixture into the bowl with the flour, a little at a time. Whisk all the time - this will avoid a lumpy batter.
- When ready to cook heat up a little oil in your frying pan. Spoon in a little batter and tilt the pan gently to allow it to spread around the pan.
- Reduce the heat. Cook for two-three minutes before carefully flipping and cooking the other side.
- Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining batter.
To make the pizza crepes
- Pre-heat your grill.
- Spread a spoonful of passata or tomato sauce over the top of the crepe with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle over some grated cheese and a little dried oregano.
- Add any other toppings if using - make sure they’re nice and small.
- Fold over both sides so you have a triangle shape and place on a baking tray.
- Repeat with the other crepes then grill for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling away.
Pin pizza crepes for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.