Are you looking for a kid safe knife? Getting my kids involved in cooking has improved their eating, taught them an important life skill and kept them busy while waiting for their meal. Here’s why we love our Foost First Knife*.
Getting kids to help in the kitchen can only be a positive thing. If you’d like to know more about why then check out my post about why you should cook with your toddler.
Aside from the mess (which you just have to embrace) one thing that often puts people off of cooking with their children is safety.
Will my kid get burnt? Will they cut themselves? How can I make sure they’re safe?
I don’t let my kids near the hob or the oven yet. My eldest child is almost eight and I’m thinking it won’t be long until I can let him – supervised of course – help with some actual cooking rather than preparation. But in terms of chopping all three of my kids – yes even Little S who has just turned three – can chop vegetables to help me with meal preparation.
Here he is chopping a carrot. In reality he still needs a little help with hard vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes etc. Courgettes, peppers, cucumber he can happily chop into random shapes without any help.
For my toddler our Foost First Knife* is the perfect tool. Here’s why we love it:
- It has a safe design, which is perfect for cutting food – not little fingers.
- It’s brightly coloured and has an attractive design.
- Helping with chopping and cooking has encouraged Little S to try new foods – eg red pepper, which he refused to eat until he chopped one up.
- My toddler knows that it is his. “Where’s MY knife mummy? I want to help you.”
- You know those days when your child is hungry and pulls at your clothes, tries to climb up your leg, moans or won’t be put down while you’re trying to cook dinner? Now I give him a board and a vegetable to chop up and he’s happy as anything. And if he snacks on some raw carrot before dinner that can only be a good thing right?
Foost also sell a Next Knife* for older kids.
Want your own kid safe knife? Head over to my instagram account for your chance to win one (giveaway open 9-16 February 2018). Foost are based in Australia but ship worldwide. Or if you can’t wait and want to buy one now enter the code SNEAKYVEG at the checkout for 10% off.
*Disclaimer: These are affiliate links, which means that if you buy something after clicking on one I will receive a small commission but the price to you will remain the same. I am a Foost affiliate and received a knife for free in exchange for this blog post. I only recommend products I really love. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg.