I’ve found that I am increasingly making veg the star of my meals. But sometimes it feels like while I’m loving vegetables more and more, my children are going in the opposite direction!
Thankfully my two-year-old takes after me and loves veggies – nearly always eating them before anything else on his plate. Cauliflower is no exception and it’s a happy sound when I hear him shouting “more cauliflower mummy!”. I sometimes get a please as well. Freekah is young green wheat that has been roasted and cracked. This is the first time I’ve used it, but it won’t be the last – it’s delicious! I picked mine up in my local health food shop.
So this recipe was perfect for a mummy and toddler lunch but not something my big kids were prepared to try. Don’t let that put you off however – this really is a delicious meal!
I prefer to serve this leek, butterbean and roasted cauliflower freekah salad warm – although it’s lovely cold as well – and it makes a delicious vegetarian or vegan lunch or side dish. I like to serve it with a green salad, hummus and a little pitta bread. If you’re not vegan then some feta cheese is also lovely crumbled over the top. Yoghurt also goes well.
I’ve started a new series here on Sneaky Veg about how to cook different vegetables. The first instalment, published last week, was about how to cook cauliflower. I’d love it if you had a read and do let me know if there are any vegetables you’d like me to focus on – so far I’ve had requests for leeks, green beans and fennel. Please sign up to my newsletter to receive notifications of my next instalment and all new recipes.
Here’s how to make roasted cauliflower and fennel seeds, leeks, butterbeans and sumac freekah salad:
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 200g pack of freekah
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g tin of butterbeans
- 1 tsp sumac
- Small handful of flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Break the cauliflower into florets, drizzle with olive oil and fennel seeds and roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring half way. Get more detailed instructions for how to roast cauliflower.
- Cook the freekah according to the packet instructions. Drain when cooked and set aside.
- When the cauliflower is almost done fry the leeks in olive oil, stirring often, until cooked. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further minutes. Add the butterbeans, cooked freekah, roasted cauliflower and chopped parsley. Stir well, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with sumac before serving.