Jazz up your cheese on toast with this easy recipe for cheesy leeks on toast. In fact it's so easy that it probably doesn't really count as a recipe.
Today is St David's Day - the Welsh national day - and seeing as leeks are one of the emblems of Wales I have chosen today to publish a couple of posts about leeks. If you'd like to know more about leeks, why they're good for you and how to cook them then read my How to cook leeks post.
How to make cheesy leeks on toast:
I love leeks with cheese on toast - it's a really easy way to get a portion of vegetables in to your diet at lunchtime AND make cheese on toast just a little bit more exciting.
2-3 slices of bread
2 tbsp butter or olive oil
2 medium leeks, washed and sliced into rounds (see how to cook leeks)
50g cheddar cheese, grated
3 tbsp milk
1. Heat your grill and lightly toast the bread on both sides.
2. Gently heat the butter or olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the leeks and cook over a medium heat, stirring often, for around 10 minutes, until soft.
3. Add two thirds of the grated cheese and the milk to the leeks and mix well.
4. Spoon on to the toast and sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top.
5. Grill until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to turn brown.