This recipe for winter vegetable soup is warming, hearty and thrifty and it's a great way to use up odds and ends at the back of the fridge. If you get a vegetable box more likely than not you'll sometimes find yourself with unused root veggies at the end of the week. You can help to avoid food waste by chucking them all in a delicious and easy soup like this one.
My hearty winter root vegetable soup recipe is great for freezing
One of my favourite things about this winter soup recipe is that it freezes brilliantly.
Why not make a batch to use up those uneaten vegetables in the fridge and freeze it for lunch next time you need something easy?
Use any root vegetables you have to hand
This recipe for hearty root vegetable soup is very forgiving. Pretty much any root vegetable you can think of can be used - you might just need to add a little more or less stock or water.
It's also a wonderful vegan soup and is a brilliant way of sneaking in a few extra vegetables if you have fussy kids. Assuming they'll try it in the first place which is always the challenge we have here!
This recipe has been included in a free budget-busting cookbook published by Voucherbox.
More vegetarian soup recipes
- Roasted tomato pesto soup
- Vegetarian tortellini soup
- Pea and mint soup
- Spinach, borlotti bean and vegetable soup
- Pappa al pomodoro
- Minestrone soup
- Curried parsnip soup
- Spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Miso udon noodle soup
- Spinach and split pea soup
Pin hearty root vegetable soup for later
Here's how to make hearty root vegetable soup:
You will need a blender to make this soup.
Hearty winter vegetable soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks sliced
- 800 g mixed root vegetables I used swede, turnip and celeriac, peeled and diced
- 1/8 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 litre of hot vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add 2 sliced leeks, stir well, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Sweat for around 10 minutes until soft stirring occasionally.
- Add 800g chopped root vegetables, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground ginger and a litre of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth. Add more water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Serve hot with bread. I also like to add a little chilli oil and some toasted pumpkin seeds to my portion.