These delicious baked beetroot doughnuts are packed full of nutritious ingredients and are low in refined sugar. Nut free and suitable for vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
These healthy doughnuts aren't deep fried
These doughnuts are nothing like the deep fried sugar coated specimens you might pick up in a paper bag at the seaside.
Remember those? Often sold with a cup of really bad coffee in a polystyrene cup.
With an inconvenient lid that you can't drink from.
Now don't get me wrong - I love those doughnuts. I just don't want to put them in my kids lunchboxes.
Baking with beetroot
I love the taste of beetroot in baking. It's often paired with chocolate - and in fact chocolate beetroot cake was one of my earliest recipes on this site.
Since then I've gone on to make:
Beetroot doughnuts are delicious
Just to be different these healthy doughnuts don't contain chocolate but I think that makes them even better.
They have a gorgeous natural colour from the vibrant purple beetroot and you can taste all the earthy flavours of the delicious root vegetable.
I've chosen to use spelt flour to make these doughnuts. Spelt flour is more nutritious than plain flour and I think has a lovely taste.
If you'd like to find out more about spelt flour you may find this post by Tin and Thyme useful.
Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack then store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Alternatively freeze for up to three months.
How to make baked beetroot doughnuts
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
If you've made this recipe please a leave a star rating and comment below. Thank you
Healthy baked beetroot doughnuts
- Silicone doughnut moulds
- Grater or food processor with grater attachment
- 180 g spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs*
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 200 g beetroot grated (2 medium beetroot)
For the icing - optional
- 80 g icing sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder optional
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease your doughnut moulds (you'll need enough for 12 doughnuts). If using silicone ones place them on a baking tray as they can be hard to move when full.
- Make your flax eggs by mixing 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons water. Stir and set aside to thicken.
- Sift together 180g spelt flour, 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and mix
- In a separate bowl mix together the 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, your 2 flax eggs, 100ml maple syrup and 1 tablespoon cider vinegar.
- Using a metal spoon fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Finally gently stir in 200g grated beetroot.
- Spoon the mixture into the doughnut moulds. You'll only need to half fill them as they rise while cooking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the moulds for a few minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
- If icing, sift together 80g icing sugar and 1 teaspoon beetroot powder (optional) then gradually stir in a tablespoon water until you have a thick paste. Transfer to a piping bag to decorate your doughnuts or drizzle over with a spoon.
- Allow to set for a few moments before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To make your flax eggs mix 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons water. You can also use ground chia seeds. Read more about flax eggs.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin healthy doughnuts with beetroot for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I'll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.