Gnocchi with broccoli and vegetarian sausages is a great meat free midweek meal. An easy meal that's perfect for all the family.
Gnocchi with broccoli and sausages is a crowd pleaser here
You know those midweek evenings. The ones where the kids are hungry, everyone wants your attention and you need a quick and easy meal on the table. Fast.
This gnocchi with broccoli and veggie sausages takes a little longer. However, it is still a great option for a vegetarian midweek meal. The sausages have to be cooked but that's pretty hands-off cooking. Then it's a case of making a quick tomato sauce, cooking the broccoli and gnocchi together and mixing the lot together. Perfect.
What's your go-to midweek meal?
Other than gnocchi we eat a lot of pasta dishes during the week. I often defrost curries from my freezer stash, make a stir fry or noodle soup.
The kids' favourite midweek meal of late has been meatball subs. Seriously - homemade meatballs in tomato sauce served in a roll. They LOVE it. I'm working on perfecting my vegan meatball recipe and then I'll share it here.
Is gnocchi vegan?
Gnocchi is usually made of potatoes and flour - two plant based ingredients. I also used a spinach based gnocchi when I photographed this dish.
However, not all gnocchi is suitable for vegans. Pesky milk powder often turns up in the ingredients so always check the label if you're vegan or dairy free.
How to make this dish vegan
My version of this was vegan. Be sure to use vegan gnocchi - or make your own.
Other than that you just need to make sure you use vegan sausages for this to be a vegan meal. I used Linda McCartney ones.
More vegetarian midweek meal ideas
- Veggie sausage pasta bake
- One pot red lentil and sweet potato coconut curry
- Lentil and roasted cauliflower pasta sauce
- Easy vegan microwave ramen
- Vegetable curry
- Sweet potato, spinach and peanut stew
- Macaroni cheese with three hidden veg
- Vegan pad Thai
- Rocket pesto tagliatelle
- Singapore noodles
- Vegan meatballs in a rich tomato sauce
- Baked gnocchi
Pin gnocchi with broccoli and vegetarian sausages for later
How to make gnocchi with broccoli and veggie sausages
Gnocchi with broccoli and vegetarian sausages
- 6 vegetarian or vegan sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 335 g broccoli broken into florets
- 500 g gnocchi
- 10 g basil leaves torn
- grated cheese optional, dairy free if vegan
- First cook the sausages according to the packet instructions. When cooked slice into rounds.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté the onion for 10 minutes until golden brown. Add the crushed garlic and stir. Cook for one minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the broccoli, cook for 5 minutes (longer if your florets are large or you prefer very soft broccoli) then add the gnocchi. Bring to the boil again, cook for two minutes (or longer if packet instructions say so). Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the tomato mixture, the sliced sausages and the torn basil leaves to the gnocchi and broccoli mixture. Stir well and serve immediately.
- Serve with grated cheese if liked.
If you like this you might like this BBQ broccoli head.