Gnocchi with broccoli and vegetarian sausages is a great meat free midweek meal. An easy meal that's perfect for all the family. It's easily adapted to be vegan.
A crowd pleaser of a meal
You know those midweek evenings.
The ones where the kids are hungry, everyone wants your attention and you need a quick and easy meal on the table. Fast.
There's nothing better than gnocchi for a quick dinner.
It takes 2 minutes to cook - what's not to like!
A go-to midweek meal
My kids adore veggie sausages, so serving the gnocchi up with sausages always goes down well.
And I love to add broccoli too to be sure that they're getting plenty of veggies too.
Is gnocchi vegan?
Gnocchi is usually made of potatoes and flour - two plant based ingredients. Sometimes gnocchi is made with other ingredients such as spinach, beetroot or pumpkin.
However, not all gnocchi is suitable for vegans. Milk powder often turns up in the ingredients so always check the label if you're vegan or dairy free.
How to make this dish vegan
This dish is very easy to make vegan-friendly.
Simply use vegan gnocchi and vegan sausages.
More vegetarian midweek meal ideas
- Veggie sausage pasta bake
- One pot red lentil and sweet potato coconut curry
- Lentil and roasted cauliflower pasta sauce
- Easy vegan microwave ramen
- Vegetable curry
- Sweet potato, spinach and peanut stew
- Macaroni cheese with three hidden veg
- Baked gnocchi
How to make gnocchi with broccoli and veggie sausages
If you've made this recipe please a leave a star rating and comment below. Thank you
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Gnocchi with broccoli and vegetarian sausages
- 6 vegetarian or vegan sausages
- 335 g broccoli broken into florets
- 500 g gnocchi
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 g basil leaves torn
- grated cheese optional, dairy free if vegan
- First cook the sausages according to the packet instructions. When cooked slice into rounds.
Make the tomato sauce
- Meanwhile heat a tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté the chopped onion for 10 minutes until golden brown. Add 2 cloves crushed garlic and stir. Cook for one minute.
- Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Cook for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the broccoli and gnocchi
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the broccoli, cook for 5 minutes (longer if your florets are large or you prefer very soft broccoli) then add the gnocchi. Bring to the boil again, cook for two minutes (or longer if packet instructions say so). Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the tomato mixture, the sliced sausages and the torn basil leaves to the gnocchi and broccoli mixture. Stir well and serve immediately.
- Serve with grated cheese if liked.
Pin gnocchi with broccoli and vegetarian sausages for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.