Ramen, or Japanese noodle soup, is a delicious and easy vegan meal. This microwave ramen recipe takes just minutes to make, making it a perfect quick, nutritious and filling meal.
NB: This is a collaborative post with Panasonic.
My eight year old son, who is a picky eater in many ways, absolutely loves ramen. It never fails to amaze me that a child who won't eat a strawberry, carrot or apple will tuck into a spicy noodle soup with such gusto.
We've always tried to expose our kids to food from a variety of cultures and so he's eaten ramen at Wagamama and at Koi Ramen in Brixton Village a few times and he loves it. We also went to Malaysia this summer where he tried noodles in every form possible!
I often make ramen at home now as it's one of those rare meals that we all like but this is the first time I've made it in the microwave. It was so easy to make - plus has the advantage of not using any oil - that I will be doing it time and time again. The toppings can be served separately to the soup so all those spicy red chillies can be left off the children's portions!
Do you use your microwave a lot? I use mine almost daily to reheat food and defrost things but I don't think I've exploited its potential for cooking from scratch. Get more microwave recipes*
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
- vegan miso udon noodle soup
- easy veggie pasta sauce with spiralised courgette noodles
- vegan Pad Thai
- sweet potato katsu curry
Pin easy vegan microwave ramen for later
How to make easy microwave ramen
This really is an easy recipe. There's a tiny bit of chopping involved and you'll need to boil the kettle to make some vegetable stock but apart from that the whole thing is done in the microwave.
The quantities below make a large portion for one adult so increase the quantities as desired to feed more.
Easy vegan microwave ramen
- ½ small white onion peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp red miso paste
- 200 g ramen noodles I used frozen ones
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock
- red chillies, spring onions, sesame seeds, tofu optional, for serving
- Place the onion in a microwavable bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir then repeat for 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger and garlic and microwave for 10 seconds
- Remove. Add the mushrooms, soy sauce and miso paste and 100ml vegetable stock. Stir well and break down the miso paste with the back of a spoon until well combined.
- Add the noodles and the rest of the stock.
- Cover and heat for one minute. Stir and heat for another minute. If you've used dried noodles you might need to cook for longer.
- Top with red chillies, spring onions, sesame seeds and sliced tofu if desired.
Disclaimer: This is a collaborative post with Panasonic.