Don't waste the seeds from your pumpkin - learn how to turn them into a delicious smoky snack in this easy oven roasted pumpkin seeds recipe.
Don't waste those pumpkin seeds
It's Halloween tonight - have you carved your pumpkin yet? If not then don’t let your pumpkin seeds go to waste.
Chances are if you buy a large carving pumpkin there won’t be much flesh inside to eat. Ours was certainly a stringy gloopy mess. We did have a lot of large white seeds however and I saved these for roasting. Find out how below.
Does anyone else have a five-eyed carved pumpkin with a tooth missing? My kids really know how to do things to the max and pumpkin carving is no exception!
Roasted pumpkin seeds are not just for Halloween - you can use this recipe at any time of year to roast your seeds from your pumpkin or butternut squash.
Fancy a different flavour? Replace the smoked paprika with ground cinnamon and leave out the salt and pepper.
Other vegetarian pumpkin recipes:
- Spiced pumpkin loaf
- Healthier pumpkin cookies
- Baked pumpkin doughnuts
- Pumpkin pie bars
- Spiced pumpkin madeleines
- Healthy pumpkin muffins with sweet potato frosting
- Vegan pumpkin waffles (recipe on my vegan food blog cookveggielicious.com)
- Afghan pumpkin curry (recipe on my vegan food blog cookveggielicious.com)
- Vegan pumpkin risotto (recipe on my vegan food blog cookveggielicious.com)
Pin easy oven roasted pumpkin seeds for later
How to make oven roasted pumpkin seeds
Once you've carved your pumpkin you'll need to stick your hand in and scrape out the seeds.
It's pretty gloopy and slimy in there but it won't take long.
You can try to scrape some of the seeds out with a spoon but I find that most of them are a bit too stuck in the pumpkin fibres and it's quicker and easier to use your hands.
Place the seeds in a colander and give them a good wash. You'll need to use your hands to pick off as much of the pumpkin flesh as possible.
Drain and place the pumpkin seeds on a sheet of kitchen towel or a clean tea towel and pat dry. If you have a few pieces of pumpkin flesh left (as in the picture below) don't worry - they won't do any harm.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with smoked paprika, salt (optional) and pepper. Stir well and place in the oven.
Smoky roasted pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkin seeds from one pumpkin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°/gas mark 6.
- Place the seeds in a colander. Rinse well and pick off as much pumpkin flesh as you can.
- Drain and tip out onto kitchen towel or a clean tea towel. Your seeds will be much crispier if you get them as dry as possible.
- Tip into a roasting dish and add the oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring two or three times.
- Allow to cool and then store in an airtight container.