A delicious and easy recipe for oven-baked spicy sweet potato wedges. These go brilliantly with veggie burgers and are dangerously moreish! Suitable for vegans.
Is there anything that doesn’t go with a sweet potato wedge?
We all love these. They seem like a healthier alternative to potato wedges and I often make them if we’re having veggie burgers or something similar for dinner.
They’re an easy way to get one of your five a day. Or should I say 7-10 a day (just doesn’t have the same ring to it though).
My kids are getting increasingly used to the taste of spices in their food. Cumin, coriander and turmeric are all accepted. However, they're decidedly more wimpy when it comes to chilli. For that reason I go very easy on the harissa paste when adding it to their portion of sweet potato wedges. You may prefer to use smoke paprika or even a mix of ground cumin and coriander instead.
Taste the harissa and judge for yourself whether it's too spicy for your kids to enjoy.
How difficult are sweet potato wedges to make?
They are so easy to make. As long as you have a large, sharp knife to cut your wedges with the rest is really as simple as mixing the wedges with oil and some spices (if you wish), then baking in the oven for 30 minutes or so.
What to serve with wedges
These sweet potato fries are lovely with a veggie burger. Here are a few burger recipes you might like to try:
However, they are also delicious with Mexican-inspired dishes such as:
What ingredients do you need to make spicy sweet potato wedges?
All you need to make these delicious sweet potato chips is:
- a large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp harissa paste (or smoked paprika - see below)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- you can also season with salt and pepper if you wish.
What is harissa paste and how spicy is it?
Harissa paste is a north-African spicy chilli paste, made from red pepper, chillies, salt and oil. Recipes vary but many contain paprika, garlic, cumin and coriander as well as other spices.
Like most things the spice levels of harissa paste vary. I don’t find it too spicy but if serving to children you may wish to just use a tiny amount or substitute 1 tsp smoked paprika instead.
Do you need any special equipment to make sweet potato wedges?
No but a large, sharp knife will help you when it comes to chopping your sweet potatoes.
You will also need a chopping board and a baking tray.
Do you need to peel your sweet potatoes?
No - unless you want to. The peel is actually good for you. Just give them a good wash first.
How to cut sweet potato wedges
- Trim the ends of your sweet potato.
- If your sweet potato is large cut it in half widthways with a large sharp knife.
- Then cut in half again lengthways and then again until you have 1 cm thick pieces.
- Slice each piece into wedges.
- The amount of times you need to cut will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes.
Pin oven-baked spicy sweet potato wedges with harissa for later
How to make spicy harissa sweet potato wedges
For the full recipe and ingredients list scroll to the bottom of this post.
1. Chop your sweet potato into wedges
2. Mix with harissa paste and oil
3. Place on a baking tray and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning halfway.
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Spicy sweet potato wedges
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp harissa paste or 1 tsp smoked paprika*
- salt and pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan)/220°C/gas mark 6. Lightly grease two non-stick baking trays.
- Wash the potatoes (you don't need to peel them unless you want to) then slice into wedge shapes.
- Place in a large bowl, add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp harissa paste and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if wanted.
- Put the wedges on the baking trays and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning halfway, or until soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
If you like this you might like Korean-style mushroom and tofu patties.