These easy cheesy quesadilla are a brilliant lunch, snack or weeknight dinner that the whole family can enjoy. They take just minutes to make and can be easily adapted. Can be vegetarian or vegan.
I love Mexican food. In fact there was a time in the past when I even had a loyalty card at our local restaurant, that's how many burritos I bought.
When my kids were small quesadilla was one of my go-to lunch options. They’re just so quick to prepare and you can chop and change the ingredients - both for variety and to deal with picky eating.
My kids prefer a simple quesadilla - with just cheese and tomatoes. It’s not a million miles from pizza - and that’s why they like it so much. You could even make it with passata or blended tomato sauce if chopped up tomatoes aren’t your kid’s favourite thing.
Quesadilla are a great recipe to try if you want to get kids involved in preparing their own lunch. See more easy recipes for kids to cook.
Quesadilla is very adaptable
In this version I've included coriander, corn and red onions as well as cheese and tomatoes. This makes it lovely and colourful. However, quesadilla can be adapted in so many different ways so feel free to chop and change it to suit you and your family.
Another favourite of mine is roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, chopped coriander and chillies.
What is a quesadilla?
A quesadilla is simply a tortilla (flatbread), stuffed with fillings such as tomatoes, beans and cheese, that is folded in half and griddled.
In Mexico a corn tortilla would usually be used. Here in the UK wheat tortillas are easier to find but you can make this recipe with either kind.
I’ve made mine with two tortillas to make it larger - this means that you need to take care when turning it over that the fillings don’t fall out. I use a plate to help me do this.
Can this quesadilla be vegan?
Yes, all the ingredients are vegan - as long as you use dairy free cheese. I use Bute Island Sheese mozzarella.
What to serve with cheesy quesadilla
Quesadilla is a great lunch on it's own. However, if you're after something extra for the side you may like one of the following dishes:
Some of these recipes appear on my vegan blog, Cook Veggielicious.
More recipes you might like
Pin cheesy quesadilla for later
How to make easy cheesy quesadilla
- Prepare your ingredients. Preheat a non-stick frying pan or griddle pan. Put one tortilla on the pan and cover with your chosen filling ingredients.
- Add grated cheese and then cover with your second tortilla.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes then use a plate or board to help you carefully turn it over to cook the other side. Take care not to burn your tortilla.
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Easy cheesy quesadilla
- 2 tortillas*
- 1/4 red onion very finely chopped or two spring onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 baby plum tomatoes finely chopped
- Small handful sweetcorn
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 30 g grated cheddar cheese or vegan alternative
- Black beans
- Chopped red pepper
- Chillies for the adults
- Place your finely chopped red onion or spring onions in a bowl with 3-4 chopped baby plum tomatoes, a small handful of sweetcorn, some mixed herbs and 1/2 tsp ground cumin. Mix well.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan or griddle pan. Put one tortilla on the pan and cover with your chosen filling ingredients. Add grated cheese and then cover with your second tortilla.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes then use a plate or board to help you carefully turn it over and slide back onto the pan to cook the other side. Take care not to burn your tortilla.