Delicious, healthy nice cream made from nothing but frozen bananas. This tasty and refreshing sweet treat is free from added sugar and is always popular with kids.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with * where possible.
I don't know about in your home but around here nothing is as popular as ice cream.
Whatever the weather my children adore frozen treats. Ice lollies, frozen yoghurt, ice cream - whatever's on offer they devour it.
But most commercial ice creams and lollies contain a lot of sugar. And that's where this recipe is just so wonderful.
Nice cream is sweet, tasty and creamy.
My kids LOVE it.
But rather than cream and sugar it's made entirely from blended frozen bananas.
That's right - there's no added sugar at all.
What is nice cream?
Nice cream is simply blended frozen bananas. It's essential that they're frozen first as this gives them their creamy consistency and makes them a convincing ice cream.
It is one of the simplest recipes I know. For something that is made entirely from bananas it really is unbelievably delicious.
Serve it as a soft serve-style ice cream or pop it back in the freezer for a more scoopable texture.
Use as a healthier alternative to traditional ice cream and serve with your favourite dessert.
Avoid food waste
Using your freezer is a great way to store ripe bananas to avoid having to throw them away.
Bananas are one of the most wasted foods in the UK, with over a million ending up in the bin EVERY DAY.
And while you can always make banana bread to use up ripe bananas, slicing them and popping them in the freezer is even easier.
Then when you fancy a healthy sweet treat you can blend them up into this healthy ice cream.
Store in the freezer. It will become very solid if frozen for more than a few hours so you may need to get it out of the freezer a little while before you’re ready to serve.
- add a tablespoon of cocoa power for chocolate nice cream
- use a mixture of strawberries and bananas for strawberry nice cream
- add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- stir through freeze dried raspberries, chocolate chips or grated chocolate before re-freezing.
- 4 ripe bananas
- Sprinkles, to serve, optional
How to make nice cream
1. Slice the bananas.
2. Place in a freezer bag or container and freeze overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
3. Remove from the freezer and place in a food processor.
4. Process for around 2 minutes until you have a smooth cream. If your food processor is struggling to break down the frozen banana add a little milk or water, a teaspoonful at a time.
5. For a soft serve-style ice cream serve immediately.
6. For a scoop able ice cream transfer the mixture to a freezer-proof dish and return to the freezer for 2 hours.
If you've made this recipe please a star rating and comment below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Easy banana nice cream
- 4 ripe bananas
- Sprinkles optional
- Slice the bananas.
- Place in a freezer bag or container and freeze overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
- Remove from the freezer.
- Place in a food processor.
- Process for around 2 minutes until you have a smooth cream. If your food processor is struggling to break down the frozen banana add a little milk or water, a teaspoonful at a time.
- For a soft serve-style ice cream serve immediately.
- For a more scoopable ice cream transfer the mixture to a freezer-proof dish and return to the freezer for 2 hours.
- Serve with sprinkles on top if desired.
Pin for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.