Are you looking for recipes using mincemeat? Do you have a jar of leftover mincemeat lurking in your fridge after Christmas? If so don’t let it go to waste and give these easy and delicious puff pastry apple and mincemeat pinwheels a try instead.
This is one of my favourite recipes using mincemeat – apart from mince pies of course. It’s so easy to make and they taste absolutely amazing – particularly when served straight from the oven. Adding some pureed apple to them appeals to me as it means my fruit and veg hating seven year old is getting a little fruit in his diet.
I am aware that I am slightly obsessed with puff pastry as a means of getting my children to eat more fruit and veg – but I’m ok with that! It seems like I can put anything on puff pastry and the kids will gobble it up. I might start a new blog called The Puff Pastry Diaries one of these days.
I would imagine that mincemeat is a somewhat baffling ingredient to someone who didn’t grow up with it. To us Brits it’s an essential part of Christmas, but I have no idea whether it’s enjoyed in other parts of the world as well. Despite the name it doesn’t actually include any meat and is actually a mixture of dried spiced fruits, often containing alcohol. Way back in the middle ages however, the fruit did have meat in it which is how it got its name. It is often made with beef suet even today. Luckily for us vegetarians however it’s easy enough to buy or make mincemeat without the suet.
If you’re looking for more recipes using mincemeat check out the ideas below from some of my blogging friends.
Here’s how to make puff pastry apple and mincemeat pinwheels
This is a really easy way to use up leftover mincemeat without making yet more mince pies. If you use ready rolled puff pastry all you have to do is cook the apples, unroll the pastry, spread the mincemeat and apple on the top, roll it up, slice and bake. Just ten minutes of work and you have a delicious festive snack.
These apple and mincemeat pastry swirls taste incredible when still warm.
This recipe is suitable for vegans. Most ready made puff pastry is suitable for vegans but do check if you’re not sure.
Easy apple and mincemeat puff pastry swirls
Are you looking for recipes using mincemeat? Do you have a jar of leftover mincemeat lurking in your fridge after Christmas? If so don’t let it go to waste and make these easy apple and mincemeat pinwheels instead.
- 2-3 small apples peeled and chopped
- Leftover mincemeat - I used 300g
- 1 375g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
Place the apples in a small pan with a dash of water, cover and cook over a low heat until soft. Mash gently or purée if preferred.
Unroll the pasty sheet and spread the apple and mincemeat over the top leaving a 3cm border along one of the long edges (this is to prevent the filling from escaping).
Tightly roll up the pastry along the long edge.
Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut into 9-10 slices with a sharp knife. Place flat on the baking tray.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry has turned golden brown.
Remove from the oven and either serve warm or allow to cool on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight container.
If you like this you might like these 15 best vegan cookbooks (over on my vegan food blog cookveggielicious.com) or one of my other Christmas recipes such as these nut free coconut snowballs, my healthier Christmas rocky road or this carrot Christmas loaf cake.
14 mincemeat recipes
- Mincemeat and apple crumble by Easy Peasy Foodie
- Mincemeat and apple shortcake slice by Family, Friends, Food
- Rugelach with sweet mincemeat by Only Crumbs Remain
- Chocolate mincemeat flapjacks by Tin and Thyme
- Mincemeat muffins by Foodie Quine
- Mince pie cupcakes with brandy buttercream by Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen
- Whisky and ginger mincemeat Christmas cake by The Peachicks Bakery (gluten free)
- Mincemeat banana tartlets with walnuts by Everyday Healthy Recipes
- Mincemeat and cranberry flapjacks by Allotment 2 Kitchen (vegan)
- Mincemeat pancakes with salted caramel sauce by The Crazy Kitchen
- Mincemeat festive wreath by Mummy Mishaps
- Mincemeat buns with cardamom by Tin and Thyme
- Chocolate brownies with mincemeat by Only Crumbs Remain
- Baked apples with mincemeat, maple syrup and brandy butter by Easy Peasy Foodie