Is there anything better than starting the day with a bowl of homemade granola? This coconut granola is about to become your new favourite breakfast. Sweetened with maple syrup, it's packed full of crunchy coconut flakes, tasty oats and delicious pecan nuts. Suitable for vegans.
This recipe for homemade coconut granola is so good.
It really is one of the best granola batches I have ever made - and I make a lot.
Mornings for me just aren't the same without my homemade granola.
In fact, I love my granola so much I almost opened a business selling it.
How is this homemade granola sweetened?
While you can sweeten your granola with regular white or brown sugar, I prefer to use a more natural sweetener.
Maple syrup is my favourite. It does the job perfectly.
Agave syrup or brown rice syrup also work well.
If you always find shop-bought granola to be overly sweet then you will love this coconut granola recipe.
What kind of oil is in this coconut granola?
Although I often use sunflower oil to make granola in this recipe I've used coconut oil.
Coconut oil can often be substituted for other types of oil in general cooking, or in baking in place of butter. Together with the coconut flakes it makes for a delicious, chewy granola that we just can't get enough of at the moment.
As coconut oil often solidifies in the jar - unless you are lucky enough to live in a hot country - you will need to melt it before mixing it with the other ingredients. See the recipe below for full details.
Is this coconut granola suitable for vegans?
Yes, there are no animal ingredients in this homemade granola recipe.
My coconut, cherry and pecan granola is 100% vegan friendly.
What goes well with this coconut granola?
I often find myself eating granola straight from the jar as a snack. However, if you want to make a more substantial breakfast using your homemade granola then it goes well with the following:
- fresh berries
- dairy free yoghurt - try coconut yoghurt for a real blast of coconut
- on top of porridge
- as a crumble topping
- sliced banana
- with a dollop of cashew butter
- with overnight oats.
How to make coconut granola
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
- 300 g jumbo rolled oats
- 50 g coconut flakes
- 100 g pecan nuts chopped or broken up
- 100 g sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 100 g dried cherries
- Pre-heat the oven to 120°C (fan)/140°C/gas mark 1 and cover two baking trays with greaseproof baking paper.
- Place 300g jumbo oats, 50g coconut flakes, 100g chopped pecan nuts, 100g sunflower or pumpkin seeds and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon into a large mixing bowl.
- Gently heat 100ml coconut oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. Allow to cool a little then add 100ml maple syrup and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Stir the melted coconut oil mixture through the dry ingredients until the oats are all well coated. Spread out over the two baking trays and bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Allow to cool then add the dried cherries. Store in an airtight container.